Chapter 11.2

Chapter 11.2

Infiltration

As he did, he pulled out a small black, rectangular device called ‘The Seeker’ from his left shirt pocket. It was very similar to a thermal vision scopes, except it could identify enemies even if they are behind solid objects and was also able to pick up the enemies heart rate and pulse to calculate the exact distance, position and direction the enemy was facing.

Ryder used The Seeker to get a quick scan of the base. The results that he got baffled him. There was no one in the base. No soldiers eating in the mess hall. No soldiers sleeping in the barracks. No soldiers on guard at the watch towers. The base was like a ghost town.

‘What the hell’, Ryder mumbled as Chris walked up beside him.

‘Something wrong sir…’, Chris asked as he knelt beside Ryder.

‘There’s no one in there’, Ryder said, eyes still glued on The Seeker.

‘What!? No way…..’, Chris exclaimed, unable to believe what Ryder had told him.

‘…..Something’s defiantly fishy here. They should know we would be coming after that ambush….So why aren’t there any guards or anything?’, Ryder pondered, scratching the back of his head with his left hand.

This wasn’t making any sense to Ryder. Why would they set up an ambush if they weren’t going to fortify the bases defense? Unless of course, it wasn’t an ambush….

‘…..It was a diversion’, Ryder mumbled out as the realization hit him.

‘What….’, Chris asked, not catching what Ryder had said.

‘They weren’t trying to ambush us they were trying to keep us busy……to move out all their gear! Shit! Chris begin cutting through the fence’, Ryder ordered, a nervous edge in his voice.

‘Yes sir!’

As Chris moved towards the fence, Ryder turned on his comes device.

‘All teams regroup and ready up! Team Infinity, Team Cobalt move up to my position! Get ready ladies and gents, we’re about to bust in!’, Ryder ordered.

‘Sir! You called for us?’, Helena asked as she, Rose and Elisa came to halt beside Ryder.

Helena and the other two were in the middle of discussing their next move on the situation with Maria when the order for them to move up came. They immediately switched back to their soldier persona and ran to their commander’s side.

‘Thanks for not wasting any time…..Now where is that damn Cobalt’, Ryder cursed, just as Team Cobalt ran up to him.

Team Cobalt had been key players in the counter attack against the beast men that afternoon. The team was made up of 5 members. Their leader, Master Sergeant Jeff Carter, was a 20 year old American navy seal who had light brown hair, green eyes and a lean build. His team mates were all American as well, although two of them were from the U.S Army Rangers.

‘Sorry for keeping you waiting Sir’, Jeff apologized as he cocked his M416 rifle.

‘Never mind that….just get ready for the infill….’, Ryder said before cocking his own rifle, a M16.

‘All other troops stay outside the base perimeter and wait for my signal to enter’, Ryder gave the order to the remaining troops through the comms as he turned his M16’s safety lever to semi-automatic.

The 9 cadet soldiers looked at Ryder’s weapon of choice with confused and bewildered looks. They hadn’t seen one of those since the model was decommissioned 5 years ago.

‘Old but Gold’, Ryder quoted when he realized the cadets where staring at his WW2 era rifle.