Bonus 2

Woebegone – Bonus 2

        L I K E   A   M I S T

Tina

                For several days, I cried about our parents' separation. It dealt a big blow to me. I felt even sorrier for Tiffany who sobbed day and night. The only time she stopped was when she successfully cried herself to sleep. Several times I tried comforting her with the best I can, but my soothing words proved to be utterly useless in the situation we were all in. Travis tried not to shed tears; but eventually, he gave in as well. I didn't blame him. Of course not. Who would? He loved Mom. All of us loved her, and to see her separated from Dad felt like she wasn't with us to begin with. As for Tybalt, he didn’t show any emotions. Not even a bit, but he’s always been that way since childhood, keeping his feelings to himself. Then again, considering how he reacted that day, I doubted he even had tears to shed.

                My siblings were somewhere else. I didn’t know where; but for the entire day, I stayed in the room that Tiffany and I shared. I grasped my pencil to write another line for my poem, but I couldn’t take it any longer. After jotting my sorrows down, tears started flowing out; and my bloodshot eyes swell once more.

                “Remember her, how everything she gave.

                Remember how she showed us the right way.

                Remember her, the foundation she laid.

                Without her, we wouldn't be here today.”

                Under guilt and frustration, I slapped myself. How could I?! I made it sound as if she was gone from the world, and that wasn’t the impression that I’m trying to show in my work. Setting aside my writing materials, I placed both of my hands on my face. My poetry notebook was getting soaked by my tears, but I didn’t care.

                I felt something behind my back, and it sure made me jump. To my surprise, it was Tybalt. He handed me the tissue box without saying anything and left the room. From my observations, he seemed impartial about the events. Maybe it was because he didn't love her as much as we did, or perhaps he was just trying to hide it inside. I was clueless. I’m not him, but it was nice of him to give me something to wipe my tears.

                Unexpectedly, he came back to ask me how I was doing. Obviously, I responded with a big “no.” I returned the question, but he ignored it and bid farewell. It made me raise my eyebrow after watching his actions which seemed uneasy or awkward. What was up with him? We’re siblings, goodness. And he and I being different genders didn’t make it weirder or anything... Sheesh, we’re just a year apart. He could tell me anything, and I could relate better than Travis or Tiffany... Giving up on the matter, I left the room as well and headed downstairs for a breather; but on my way, I couldn’t believe the words that my ears were transmitting to my brain.

                “Stop crying. What are those tears going to do? It won’t convince her to come back any time soon. Besides, she can’t see it,” I recognized that voice — Dad! Who was he talking to?! I crept towards the railings of the stairs to eavesdrop and have a look-see.

                Another scene on the living room — an unpleasant one. I gasped when I saw Dad grasping Tiffany's jaw firmly, and he sounded as if he was brainwashing her. Beside Tiffany was Tybalt, nonchalant as usual.

                “Daddy...” I heard her soft voice. I etched a bit closer, but I couldn’t make out everything she said. All I heard were mumbles, “Why... her.... anymore?  Love... for... second?!”