12 years later: We're Having Company

Patty

It had been twelve years of chaotic craziness, but I wouldn't change it for the world. The boys had grown up. Nash is twenty, Nixon is eighteen, and a senior in high school. Nathan and Noah are seventeen and juniors, while Nolan is fifteen and a freshman. One down, four to go, getting the boys through high school.

Maggie visited more, going to school with the boys, which was a real treat. I didn't understand why they gave the poor girl a tough time. She's such a sweetheart.

Nash was backpacking through Europe for a year. He left last year. After his breakup with Sarah, he wanted to spread his wings. His absence left us with the four younger boys at home.

Nate received a phone call from Brian, which would affect all of us.

*****

Maggie

"So, let me get this straight. You both decided you needed a year-long vacation because you're stressed?" I asked my parents.

They stood in front of me.

"Ah, yes," Dad said.

"But you don't have jobs and live off mom's inheritance."

"But raising kids is stressful," Mom said.

I stood up. "You have one. Pat and Nate have five kids and work full time, with Pat earning a college degree. If life should stress anyone, it should be them!"

"See it from our perspective, Maggie. Parents need a break," Dad said.

"Since you're gallivanting around Europe, doing God knows what, where will I be staying?"

"You'll stay with Nate and Pat," he said.

"What? Oh, hell, no! I hate their sons, and they hate me! And you want me to stay with them?"

"Yes," my parents answered.

"No!"

"Well, too bad. We have already decided. For seventeen years, I had to forgo a lot for you. Now I want to have some fun," my mom said while looking at her nails.

"Forgo a lot for me? You're never here for me and leave me with babysitters, or Pat looks after me."

"Oh, stop being a spoiled brat and pack," Mom said.

"I hate you both." I stormed upstairs to pack.

"Finally," Dad said.

"Well, it won't matter because once we're gone, Maggie is their problem and not ours," my mom said as she walked away.

My parents will never change.

*****

Patty

Nate and I gathered the boys to tell them about Maggie. They were less than receptive to the idea.

"No way!" Nixon said.

"Come on, Dad! We don't even like her!" Nathan said.

"Too bad! She's coming to stay!" Nate said.

"But why?" Noah asked.

"Because her parents asked us, and we accepted," I told them.

"This decision is such horseshit!" Nixon said.

"Language!" I told Nixon.

"I don't understand what your beef is with Maggie. But you had better work it out because she's staying here for a year," Nate said.

"A year! Man!" They spoke.

The conversation went better than I expected. The doorbell rang, and Nate looked at the boys. "Behave."

The boys glanced at each other as he answered the front door to Brian, Tricia, and Maggie.

"Thanks again for doing this, Nate," Brian said with phoniness.

I hate him because he's still the same asshole from high school.

"Yeah, sure," Nate said through gritted teeth.

"Well, we're leaving. Bye now," Brian said as they left.

They didn't even give Maggie a hug or kiss. What was that?

"I'm out of here." Nixon stormed past us and out of the house.

I looked at Maggie. "Nixon is a bit cranky."

"Whatever. Is there a place where I can set my stuff?" She asked with her arms crossed.

"Yeah, I'll show you to Nash's room." Nate grabbed her bags and carried them upstairs.

She followed him. Something happened to Maggie because she wasn't the same person I had known.

"Well, we're going to our rooms," Nathan said.

Noah followed Nathan.

"Boys?" I asked, getting the twins' attention.

"Yeah, Ma?" Noah asked.

"Behave," I said.

"Pft, yeah, okay." Nathan laughed. Oh, boy.

I turned and noticed Nolan sitting there and walked over to him. "Hun, you've been quiet. Are you okay?"

He stood up. "Ma, a hot girl is staying here who is not my mother. Everything is perfect." He smirked, then walked by me as I tried to say something. Oh, good, God.

Nate came downstairs a few minutes later.

"Is Maggie all settled?" I asked Nate.

"Yeah, and she's not thrilled. She said two words to me."

"I'm sure she's fine."

"I hope so because the boys will give her a run for her money."

"Oh, it's not the boys so much as her. Growing up with you and your brothers, I learned that it takes a special girl to hold her own with the Gray boys."

"Wait. We ended up together."

"Yeah, but it didn't start that way, if you remember. We didn't like each other." I walked away.

He thought about it. "You're kidding, right? Pat? Patty? Betty Crocker!" He followed me.

The year will be exciting.