After party issues

Nate

After arriving home, I pulled Patty out of the backseat and placed her over my shoulder. Patty was out for the count. Alcohol and heaving will do that to you.

We walked around to the backdoor and carried Patty inside.

Ma met us. "Do I want to know?"

"Patty and alcohol don't mix," Cayson said.

"Ma, can you cover for Patty?" I asked.

"Do you know whom you're talking to?" Ma asked.

"Yeah, I do."

"Yes. Now put Patty in your bedroom. I'll phone Joan, informing her Patty has gotten sick. I had you pick her up because we didn't want to disturb her house with it being so late."

I carried Patty to my bedroom and lay her down on my bed. Patty mumbled something in her sleep. I leaned down and listened.

"Nate's a wonderful guy. I wish he liked me as much as I liked him." Soft snores followed.

I leaned into her ear and whispered, "More than you know."

I covered Patty and walked out of my bedroom. I closed the door behind me and lingered in the hallway as my lips curled into a crooked smile.

*****

Patty

The following day, I woke up groaning. My head throbbed. I sat up, rubbed my eyes, and noticed the bedroom. How the hell did I get here? Where was I?

After focusing my eyes, I saw model cars. The only person who had model cars was... Oh, shit. I scrambled out of bed.

The last thing I remembered was walking into a house with Liz. Then I lost Liz in said house. I glanced at the clothes I was wearing from last night. Oh, God.

While I was losing my mind, my bladder needed emptying. I flung the door open and ran to the bathroom.

"Patty's up." Jonas smirked while eating breakfast.

A few minutes later, I came out of the bathroom, crept toward the kitchen, and fidgeted with my hands. Nate, Jonas, and Cayson were sitting at the table, eating breakfast, and Lucille was making a cup of coffee.

"Morning, drunky." Cayson snickered.

I wanted to crawl into a hole and die. Lucille handed me a glass of water with two aspirins, and I took them and swallowed them.

Then she handed me a cup of black coffee. I took it from her, walked over, and sat between Jonas and Cayson.

"So, what happened last night?" I asked them.

"You don't remember?" Nate ate breakfast, not bothering to look at me.

"No, I remember going to a party with Liz." I tried to recall my night.

"Let me refresh your memory. You attended a party, got drunk on spiked punch, dialed me, told me you were over me and didn't need me to care about you. You told me you had feelings for me when I showed up, then walked away. That was before you puked in someone's yard."

I stared at him, horrified.

"But that's okay. People say that there are two types of honest people: kids and drunk people." He kept eating.

Jonas and Cayson didn't say anything, and neither did Lucille. My skin burned as my mouth became dried. Someone's family doesn't like it when you say nasty things to their family member while you're drunk.

I got up and whispered, "Excuse me." I walked to the front door, opened it, stepped onto the porch, closed it, and hurried home. That party was a disaster.

I walked into my house, going straight to my bedroom. I kicked off my shoes, crawled into bed, and pulled the covers over my head. If I had a chance with Nate last night, I blew it. I am never drinking again.

*****

I stayed in bed all day and only got up to use the bathroom. I didn't want to talk to anyone and embarrassed myself, gaining liquid courage and telling off a guy I liked.

That night, I lay in bed and watched TV. I didn't eat anything because my stomach was still woozy from the previous night.

I would have to face everyone, but not now.

*****

The next day, I showered because I needed one. I didn't shower yesterday and wanted to wash away the whole mess.

After I finished, I got out of the shower, dried off, and wrapped a towel around me. I wiped off the mirror and looked at my reflection. Even if Nate was interested in me, why would he be? Friday night proved how immature I was. He's twenty-four, and I'm seventeen. I sighed.

I walked into my room and put on dry, comfy clothes. I strolled into the kitchen, taking a seat at the table.

"How are you feeling? Lucille said you got sick Friday night."

I shrugged. "Okay."

She fixed me something to eat. "So, your birthday is next week, and what do you want to do?"

"I was thinking of staying in and watching movies."

"Don't you want a party?"

I heard the disappointment in her voice. Mom enjoyed celebrating our birthdays, and I couldn't stop her since she gave us life.

"A small get-together would be fine." I offered a slight smile. Even though I felt like dirt, I couldn't ruin Mom's joy by celebrating my birth.

Nate wouldn't be at my party since he must hate me. Scratch that. I know he hates me.

*****

All week long, I attended school and worked. Liz and I talked after I scolded her for ditching me. Like most friends, we made up. I also told her what happened with Nate and what I had said, but I didn't need her pity since it was my own doing.

While I kept myself busy, everyone else was planning a surprise of their own for me.

*****

Lucille

I hung up the phone and looked at my boys. "It's all set. She doesn't suspect a thing." A smile curled upon my lips.

"This birthday is one she'll never forget." Cayson grinned.

"Now, this is what we'll do."

*****

Patty

As my birthday drew near, I was getting anxious. I was turning eighteen and never had a boyfriend or my first kiss. Mom said I was a late bloomer, but I wanted to wait for the right guy, who I thought was Brian Holloway.

Mom invited a few people over and baked me a chocolate cake since it was my favorite.

I stood at my window, looking at the picnic table. I thought about the nights when Nate and I talked, missing our late-night chats.

Bare trees and grey skies surrounded the empty picnic table, bumming me out. I sighed. Whatever was happening between Nate and me was a fleeting moment, and that thought depressed me.

Well, happy birthday to me.

The Gray Brothers: The Beginning✔️ (Kindle version)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara