Halloween, trick or treating, and scary movies

Patty

It wasn't surprising that Halloween was coming with the weirdness going around. At least, I don't think it did. The Gray boys were acting stranger than usual, but they're always strange. My brother was acting weird, and Liz was acting odd.

I swear this world is weird, and I live in it.

I tried to ignore the weirdness and focus on having fun on Halloween. Since my last year in high school, I went trick or treating. Don't judge. It's free candy, man. Plus, we get to wear a costume.

After Liz harped about Homecoming, I harped about trick or treating.

"This is so dumb. Why can't we go to a Halloween party?" She asked.

I rolled my eyes as I finished getting ready. "Stop complaining. We get free candy while wearing a costume. Plus, I don't feel too bad because I'm not eighteen yet." I turned to her and smiled.

"Fine. Let's get this over with."

"Why? Do you have a hot date or something?"

"No!"

I gave her a strange look since she was acting weirder than usual. Oh, well. It's time for candy.

We went trick or treating on the next street because people didn't hand out candy on my street — damn Scrooge's.

We went to the houses with a porch light on, knocked, yelled trick or treat, and got strange looks and candy thrown into our pillowcases. Even though Liz complained at first, she had fun.

We finished and made our way back to my house. It was already dark, and people were turning off their porch lights. Trick or treating was over. Well, that was until I had kids and could go again.

An icy shiver ran down my spine as we walked home, so I quickened my pace. The people picked up their pace until we were running towards my house.

Then it happened. Someone jumped out in a mask. "Rawr!"

We screamed, then I stopped when I heard laughter.

"Oh, that was classic," the person said under the mask.

What the hell? The person was laughing and clapping their hands. I walked over and lifted their mask to see Cayson.

I should have known. Then we heard more laughter. We turned to see Nate, Jonas, and Danny stepping out from the shadows, roaring with laughter. I narrowed my lips and glared at them.

"Real cute, you guys," I said.

"We thought so." Danny laughed.

"Why?"

"Because you scare easily, and it's Halloween." He grinned.

I gave him a playful smack. "How did you find us?"

"We were walking around and saw the two of you heading home. Plus, Mom wanted to make sure you both were okay." He shrugged.

I shook my head and rolled my eyes. I was almost eighteen. I'm sure I can take care of myself.

"We're going back to the Gray's house to watch horror films if you both want to join us," Danny told Liz and me.

Before I responded, Liz said, "Sure."

I looked at her as she winked at me. I'll never understand my best friend. But then again, she is a teenage girl.

I sighed as we all walked back to the Gray's house to watch movies. It's a good thing that I had on a comfy costume since I didn't have a chance to go home and change, or I would be so screwed right now.