Nathaniel Gray aka Nate

Patty

I followed Nate downstairs into the basement. He brushed his hair out of his face and searched for a pair of pliers. Damn, he was hot. Focus, Patty. He's not sexy but a thorn in your side. Plus, he's seven years older than me.

He pulled out a toolbox, opened it, and rummaged through the contents. "Sometimes, my ma does these things on purpose."

"Huh?"

"My ma does this shit on purpose." Nate stared at me, making me uncomfortable.

When we were kids, it was different. He would tease me. We have a weird tension between us, which had never been there.

I know she does these things on purpose because I've seen it firsthand.

"Found it." He held up a pair of needle-nose pliers.

"Huh?"

He shoved the pliers in my face. "Pliers."

I furrowed my brows. Nate walked up the stairs, and I followed him. He climbed onto the stepladder, unscrewing the base of the bulbs from the socket with the pliers. Lucille flipped the switch, causing a popping sound. Nate fell off the ladder, and she flipped it off, acting casual.

I looked at her as she whistled. This woman was nuts.

"Check on him." Lucille pushed me towards Nate.

"Shouldn't you check on him since he's your son?"

"I have to check on Jonas and Cayson. Bye." Lucille left the kitchen.

I opened my mouth, trying to stop her, but she was already through the door leading into the garage. What is wrong with this woman? She tried to electrocute her son.

I walked over to Nate and helped him. "Are you okay?"

He sat up and looked at me. "Did you flip that switch?"

"What? No."

He got to his feet and yanked his arm from me. "Yeah, right."

"But I didn't."

Nate waved me off. I won't stand by and get blamed for something his mother did. I opened the garage's screen door, leaving the house and walking by the three of them.

"Patty, where are you going, Hun?" Lucille asked me.

"Home," I said.

Stupid Nate. Stupid light switch.

I made sure no cars were coming before I ran across the street. Why did the dynamics change between the Gray boys and me?

I walked into the house, passed Mom in the living room, and headed to my bedroom next to the bathroom and kitchen. I grabbed my car keys and purse, then left.

I got into the car and drove over to Liz's house. I needed to vent to someone. Who's the best person to vent to but my best friend?

*****

"You were at their house? And you didn't call me?" Liz asked me.

"My mom sent me over with a bag of romance novels for Lucille. It's not like I wanted to be there on purpose."

"Why not? I would go there on purpose. Those boys are freaking hot." She smirked and plopped on her bed next to me.

"And they're a pain in the ass. Nate accused me of trying to electrocute him." I stood up and paced back and forth.

"Well, did you?"

I stopped and looked at her. "No, Lucille flipped the damn switch."

"Wait. Why did Nate's mother try to electrocute him?"

"Got me. Why does Lucille do half the things she does?" I shrugged and sat on the bed in a huff.

"Patty, you have liked Nate your entire life. It's your chance." She smiled at me.

"Liz, Nate is twenty-four and has a girlfriend. Plus, I like Brian Holloway." I sighed.

Brian Holloway was my dream guy. He's a senior like us and every girl's fantasy. Plus, he was cute. Now I needed to get the nerve to talk to him.

"Forget Brian Holloway. He's a douche."

"He is not!"

"Trust me. Brian is."

"That is a persona."

"Don't say that I didn't warn you. Patty, you should go after one of the Gray boys. They're your neighbors, funny, and freaking hot."

"You're no help."

"I'm a girl with raging hormones, so sue me." She smirked.

I couldn't help but laugh. At least Liz was honest.