Myrtle Beach for Spring Break? Sure, why not?

Patty

Lucille offered to take Liz and me with her to Myrtle Beach for spring break. Nate, Jonas, and Danny joined us. Cayson was still angry with his parents and brother and wouldn't be there. It sucked because I wanted him to come.

Lucille drove in one car with the girls, and the boys rode in another car.

"Lucille?"

"Yeah, Hun?"

"It's nothing." I couldn't bring myself to ask her about Cayson.

"You want to hear about Cayson, don't you?"

My head snapped in her direction. Is this woman a mind reader?

She glanced at me. "Nate told me that you were asking about Cayson."

"I didn't want to ask if it was a sore subject."

"It's not, but Cayson needed to learn a lesson. His temper has gotten the best of him. He and Jonas got into a stupid argument, and Cayson threw the first punch. I love my boys, but sometimes, I'm tired of them acting like little bitches."

Liz snickered in the back seat.

"Patty, you'll understand what it means to play a referee when you have kids."

"Have you spoken to Cayson?"

"I'm still his mother, but Grayson meant what he said. We're not allowing Cayson back home. Period."

"Shouldn't a mother defend their children?"

"To a point, but you have to remember that your husband will remain after your kids leave home."

God, I hope it's not that way when I have kids. I guess it depends on how you parent your kids.

*****

We pulled up to a beach house, grabbed our bags, and found our rooms. Liz and I took one bedroom while the boys and Lucille had their bedrooms, and I didn't mind since it gave us time to talk while we shared a bedroom.

"Girls? Are you hungry?" Lucille asked us.

"Yeah!" We spoke.

"I'll fix lunch, and then we can hit the beach!"

"Okay!"

I set my bag on the bed and opened it.

Liz put her purse on the other bed and turned to me. "Spill."

"About what?" I dug through my bag for a swimsuit.

"What's happening with you and Nate? Is this week that you'll....?"

"What? No. Why would you say that?"

"Well, because you both have been dating since November, it's April."

"There's no time frame for sex. Everyone's in such a rush. As Nate said, you only get one first time." I didn't have the heart to tell her that we were getting married and leaving after graduation. I didn't have anything against anyone, but we chose this path for ourselves.

We changed into our swimsuits with shorts and walked downstairs. We had lunch, then hit the beach. I removed my shorts, and Nate did a double-take. He picked up a towel, walked over, and covered me.

"Nate? What are you doing?"

"I don't need guys staring at my fiancée!"

My eyes widened as I tried to silence him.

Everyone asked, "What?"

Nate, you idiot! We turned and looked at them as they stared at us in shock.

"And when is this so-called wedding?" Lucille asked him with her hands on her hips.