Wedding Daze

Patty

The girls hung out at Lucille's house the night before the wedding. The guys did, God knows what.

It was weird to have my mom, Lucille, Liz, and Nate's aunts there. We all talked and ate pizza.

"I still can't believe you're getting married tomorrow," Liz said.

"Neither can I, but I can't wait," I said. "Nate turned out to be amazing."

Everyone listened to me.

"We started as neighbors, becoming friends to more. He's my best friend."

"What made you decide Nate was the one, Patty?" One of his aunts asked me.

"The day he kissed me. It was my eighteenth birthday, and we argued. The minute he kissed me, it was like it didn't matter anymore. It's like forces are pushing us together."

"More like the force of Lucille pushing you together," another aunt said, which made us laugh.

"I always knew they belonged together, even though they're stubborn like jackasses," Lucille said.

"Gee, thanks." I rolled my eyes.

We laughed and talked most of the night. The guys had a guy's night, practicing something for the wedding.

*****

Nate

"Ready?" Dad asked us.

We nodded and stepped in sync with each other. The weird part was that Dad included Cayson. After Patty talked to me and told me what she did, I had a chat with my parents. They relented.

When you threaten elopement, it gets them every time.

*****

Patty

I awoke the following day and glanced at the clock. It was surreal that I would be Mrs. Nathaniel Gray in a few hours.

Mom knocked at my door, then opened it. "You're not going to sleep all day, are you?"

"No." I yawned and sat up, then got up and stretched. I had to get my butt in gear and get ready. Liz will be here in an hour to help me.

I had breakfast and showered as Liz showed up already dressed. She came into my room and did my hair and makeup as Mom got ready and helped me with my dress. Lucille came over to help us.

When they finished, I turned and looked at them. "Well?"

"Sweetheart, you look beautiful," Mom said, making me smile.

Dad knocked on the door. "Is everyone decent?"

"Yes, Dad!"

He opened the door and smiled. I smiled back.

"We better go. Grayson said the groom looks like he's ready to pass out," he said.

They walked out of my room, and I walked over to Dad.

"My baby is getting married." A tear fell down his cheek.

"I know, Dad." I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. My eyelashes brushed against his skin, giving him butterfly kisses. He held out his arm as I took it. He led me to the Gray's house, and we walked in through the front door.

We took our positions. Before we started, someone placed a bouquet of red roses in my hand, and I smiled. Only one person would give me roses.

We walked to the family room and over to the patio door. The music started, and Jonas met Liz and escorted her. Cayson accompanied a cousin down the aisle, and I stood with my dad. We stepped through the doorway and walked up the aisle towards Nate when they cued us. He stood there, grinning from ear to ear.

Dad handed my hand to him when we reached him and said, "Take excellent care of her, Nate."

"Always." Nate took my hand and held it, interlacing our fingers.

We turned, and the minister started. Every so often, I glanced at Nate, and he glanced at me. We slipped our wedding rings onto each other's fingers as we said our vows.

"By the power invested in me by the State of Michigan, I now pronounce you husband and wife," the minister said. "You may now kiss your bride."

Nate spun me around, dipped me, and kissed me as my arm dangled with the bouquet as Dad snapped a picture.

He lifted me, placed his hands on each side of my face, and said, "I love you, Mrs. Gray."

"I love you, Mr. Gray."

He pulled me into another kiss, and everyone clapped.

*****

After the wedding, we all sat and ate while the bridal party talked.

"Well, Patty, who would have thought the neighbor girl would get my big brother to settle down?" Jonas asked, placing his hand on Nate's shoulder.

"I guess it takes a majestic woman," I said.

"Touché." He chuckled.

"Attention, everyone!" Liz clanked her glass and stood. "It's time for the best man and maid of honor speeches. I'm going first."

Everyone laughed.

"I have known Patty forever and couldn't have asked for a better best friend. Even with her neurotic tendencies, I love her like a sister. Nate, I'm handing over my best friend to you. Take wonderful care of her. To Nate and Patty!"

Everyone raised their glasses and toasted us.

Next, Jonas spoke, "Well, Peppermint Patty, I may have gone to homecoming with you, but Nate won your hand and heart. Nate is my big brother, and I watched their friendship blossom over the years. I'm glad they got together, or Ma would never leave Cayson and me alone. To Nate and Patty!"

People toasted us again as Nate stood up. "Thank you both, even though I wonder about you both."

We all laughed.

"I never thought I would marry that little girl, kitty-corner from me, but I'm glad that I did. She's not only my wife but my best friend. I can't think of a better person to marry. I love you, Patricia Gray." He leaned over and kissed me with a collective aww from everyone.

It was my turn. I stood up and said, "To be honest, I had a crush on Nate for years. Then one day, he became a pain in the ass."

Everyone laughed.

"But over time, as things changed between us, I realized I couldn't imagine my life without him. I didn't fall in love with the neighborhood boy, but I fell in love with my best friend. I love you, Nathaniel Gray." I leaned over and kissed him.

After our toast, we cut the cake as the dancing began. Nate and I danced first, and he took me in his arms and held me close. We danced together as Nate clutched me, and I realized he would never let me fall.

I looked at him. "Thank you for the dress."

"I can't let my future wife deal with Ma's wrath, now, can I?"

I giggled. We danced together as Nate kissed me every so often.

Nate was my future. I could not have asked for someone better than him.

After we danced, they had everyone clear the dance floor. Grayson, the guys, and other family members walked onto it, and the DJ started a song.

Nate and his family's shoes hit the floor with a thud, moving in sync. I stood in amazement, watching as they flipped each other. It was all in sync. Liz pushed me onto the floor. I watched their actions and followed along until Nate grabbed me, and we did our dance together.

I never had so much fun as I am having now. We all clapped, stepping and finishing with Nate dipping me. Everyone joined in.

We may not have planned our wedding, but it turned out perfect. Sometimes, you must live a little.