Apple orchard fun

Patty

"Yo, Peppermint Patty. Are you coming or what?" Jonas asked through my window.

I opened my screen and stuck my head out of the window. "Where?"

"To the apple orchard." He grinned.

I noticed his brothers, my brother, and Liz standing out in the backyard. "It's Sunday."

"Yeah, and what's your point?" Cayson asked me.

"Sunday is the day of rest. So, I'll take a nap. You guys have your fun." I waved at them and shut my screen and my window.

I needed a nap. This entire thing about getting up early for school was utter bullshit. Who does that? I'll be so glad when I graduate and take afternoon classes.

I lay on my bed and got comfy, then heard a knock. "Go away, Danny!"

The person knocked again. As the door opened, I picked up a shoe and threw it at the person. Nate ducked, causing the sneaker to fly past him and land in the hallway.

I stared at him. "I thought you were Danny."

"Nah, he's shorter and thinner than me." He smirked.

"I'm not going and taking a nap."

"Fine." He shrugged.

I closed my eyes until someone grabbed me and picked me up. I opened my eyes only to come face to face with Nate's butt. "Nate!"

"You can sleep, but you're still going."

I glanced at his butt, which was a nice butt. Why fight it? I'll admire the view from here. Sigh.

He carried me outside and tossed me into his car. Danny handed me a pair of shoes, and Liz gave me a hoodie. Those sneaky sneaks had planned this excursion.

Nate backed out of the driveway, and the six of us rode to the apple orchard.

The drive to the orchard wasn't long. The crisp, chilly October air made it cold enough for a hoodie without having to get out our parkas. Michigan weather in the wintertime is a bitch. It's freezing because we have four Great Lakes surrounding us. Yes, we have five, but Lake Ontario doesn't touch us.

I was thankful it was sunny out. Our skies turn grey with the chance of rain or snow.

We got out and walked into the building. Danny paid for a bushel of apples, and they handed him a bag. Mom wanted a particular apple called Ida Reds for pies. The thought of Mom's homemade apple pie baking in the oven made my mouth salivate.

We walked around the apple orchard and made our way to Ida Red trees, then started picking. We had to climb the trees to get to the best apples, and they posted signs not to climb the trees, but we never listened.

"Yo, Nate. Hold that bag, will you?" Danny asked Nate.

Nate picked up the bag and held it open as we threw apples at him. He used the bag to catch the apples. When we figured we had enough, we climbed out of the tree.

"You two are something else." He chuckled, shaking his head.

"At least, I'm better at climbing trees than when I was younger." I grinned, making him laugh even more.

"Donuts?" Danny asked us.

"Definitely," I said.

We walked back to the cider mill and bought warm donuts with cinnamon and a gallon of cold apple cider. It's a treat when you go to the orchard.

We sat at the table, munching on the deliciousness we called donuts when nature called. Man, cider makes you want to pee.

*****