Conspiracy theories

Patty

I don't know what happened between Nate and Brian, but Brian kept his distance from me. I was thankful for that.

I stood in the school's hallway, looking at the homecoming flyer's plaster on the wall. I wouldn't be attending because I never attended any school dances.

Who would I go with to homecoming? It's not like I had many options.

"So, you're telling me you would rather stay home and clean your room than go to a dance?" Liz asked me.

What's wrong with having a nice clean room?

"You're not staying home," she said.

"No offense, but it's not like I have guys beating down my door."

"I could ask Keith if he has a friend." She gave a cheesy smile.

"And be a charity case? No, thanks." I put my hand up, and I didn't want people to feel sorry for me but have a guy ask me because he wanted to ask me.

I slammed my locker door shut and walked away. I'm done talking about homecoming.

*****

Liz

I left to make a call. I tossed money into a payphone slot and dialed a phone number. "Hey, it's me. I have news. Meet me at Dominick's party store. Who cares if I'm skipping? Meet me there." I checked to make sure the coast was clear and walked to Dominick's.

It took about ten minutes to reach the party store and see Cayson in the parking lot, leaning against his car.

"What took you so long?" He asked me.

"Unlike you, I had to walk. I could get a ride from someone, but everyone is in class." I rolled my eyes at Cayson.

"Yeah, because you're a rebel and don't go to class." He smirked.

"Well, I'll have prospects when I graduate." She smirked back.

"Whatever. I start a job tomorrow. So, what's this so-called news?"

"Patty needs a date."

"Why and for what?"

"It's homecoming, and she shouldn't be sitting home, cleaning her room for the umpteenth time." I raised my finger to him.

He pursed his lips into a thin line and crossed his arms across his chest. "If that's true, Nate wouldn't go to a school dance because he doesn't like dances."

"Have you asked him?"

"He is my brother. I have never seen him attend a dance in his entire life. I can't walk up to him and say, 'Hey, Nate. How about taking Patty to a dance?' He would laugh." He raised his eyebrows.

"Suitable point." I shook my finger at him, then played with my lips and thought about it. "I've got it. You take her."

"What? No!" He waved his hands back and forth. "No way!"

"Oh, come on! Be a pal!"

"It's like taking my sister to the dance! Gross!"

I stared at him and shook my head as a giggle escaped my lips.

"What's so funny?"

"If you take her to homecoming, then Nate takes an interest in her. He might get his shit together and ask her out when he does." I twirled my finger, hoping he got the point.

"I doubt it. I haven't seen Nate get jealous over Patty."

"Because no one has been a threat. No guy has shown an interest in her, and he hasn't had a threat or a reason not to have her." I arched my eyebrow.