Dating a Gray boy

Patty

When you date a Gray boy, the relationship comes with more than I realized.

Nate would take me out on dates. I would have dinner at his house, or he would have dinner at mine. When I wasn't working, he would spend time with me, even distracting me from my homework. I would slug him because I wasn't about to let my grades slip.

While working at the store, he would find an excuse to see me. Lucille became good at helping him. Nate gave me butterflies when I saw him. But nothing beat the night when we were on a date and ran into Brian and Tricia.

We stood in the movie theater's lobby, looking at the list of movies playing. We decided what to see when someone said, "The trash is taking the trash out."

We turned around to find Brian and Tricia standing there. She snickered as we looked at them. I frowned, and Nate tensed. Shit. He has a temper, and it would blow.

Brian walked over to me. "I told you that hanging out with them does nothing but bring you down."

Something unpredictable happened. Nate slid his hand into mine and intertwined our fingers. He gave my hand a gentle squeeze. As soon as I squeezed his hand, he relaxed. That's when I understood what Lucille meant. Damn, she's brilliant.

"No, Brian, the only trash here is you. While you walk around thinking you're all that, Nate is, and he doesn't have to prove it. One day, we won't be in high school. Those who follow you will leave because you're no longer the high man on the totem pole. But Nate knows that. Say whatever you want, but I have someone who knows what he wants in life. Enjoy sponging off your rich girlfriend. Ta, ta."

While holding Nate's hand, I led him away from Brian. He stopped, and I turned to him, giving him a confused expression until he pulled me to him. He pressed his lips against mine, placing his hand on my face, and I put my hands on his back.

Brian and Tricia stood there in shock. The looks on their faces were priceless as I grinned.

He pulled back and glanced at them. "Patty is one hell of a kisser." He shot them a wink, dropped his arms, took my hand, and walked to the ticket booth.

Yeah, I hadn't told many people that I was dating a Gray boy. The cat is out of the bag now.

*****

I sat in my room, reliving Friday events again, and my smile grew bigger.

My door burst open as Liz asked, "Why didn't you tell me you were dating Nate Gray?"

"Hello to you, too." I arched my eyebrow.

"Yeah, yeah, hi." She waved me off, walked over, and sat down on my bed. "Is that why I haven't seen you in forever, except at school?"

I sighed. "Yes, but I'm also working, too."

"So, tell me."

"What's there to say? He's amazing."

She noticed the vase of red roses on my dresser. "Amazing? The guy gave you roses."

I looked at the flowers on my dresser.

"Those? Those would be new since the other ones had died."

"Other ones? Damn!"

"He knows that they're my favorite flower, so he replaces them when they die." I shrugged. Why am I acting so casual about my relationship with Nate? I guess I enjoy keeping it private because It was my guilty pleasure.

"So, have you guys?"

I gave her a weird expression. "No."

"Why not?"