Guess whose birthday it is?

Patty

After Christmas, I wrote in the journal while recalling my dreams, making brief stories. The nightmares had become less when I saw what haunted me in black and white. Therapists call it a dream journal, and most doctors recommend it after you suffer a traumatic event.

I even let Nate read what I wrote, and he became glued to it.

"These stories are great."

"It's amazing what nightmares can do for you when writing."

"But it's getting better, right?"

"Yeah."

"Patty? Talk to me."

I stood up and turned my back to him. Then I faced him. "Even if the nightmares stop, I always feel like someone is following or watching me, and it's unnerving."

He set the journal on the bed and stood up. He placed his hands on my shoulders. "Patty, you suffered a traumatic event, but the guy is in jail. The police arrested him that night."

"Nate, he took my sense of security when he attacked me. Why?"

"What?"

"Why did he do it? I didn't even know the guy."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Why?"

"Because the guy works at the grocery store. Well, he used to work there."

"What?"

"Cayson recognized him. They said his name was Shawn."

I sat down on the bed as my stomach churned.

"What?"

"When I was getting ready to leave, he offered to walk me to my car, but I declined." I looked at him in shock. He sat down next to me as I looked at him. "Nate, I declined his offer because of you."

"It could have gone either way, whether you accepted or didn't. You had pepper spray in your pocket."

"Because my mom always harps on me to carry it."

"Thank God for paranoid mothers." He smirked, causing me to giggle.

I didn't want to think about what happened anymore, and the memory was making my stomach churn every time I did. So, I changed the subject.

"Isn't your birthday coming up?"

"Thanks for the reminder."

"It's not that bad."

"Since my ma has something planned, rethink that statement."

"You're right."

He pulled me into a kiss, flipping me onto my back and crawling on top of me. "I like this look on you."

"What look?"

"Me."

I laughed as he kissed me again.

*****

Lucille had a small party for Nate. Nothing flashy since he didn't want people reminding him about turning twenty-five. I bought a little gift for him. What do you get a guy beside a model car?

He opened his gifts. Then he opened mine. He pulled out an ID bracelet that had his name engraved on it. He noticed the date. I watched him as he smiled. "Really?"

"It fits." I smirked.

"What did she have engraved underneath?" Jonas asked him.

He sat back and looked at me, shaking his head. "Her birthday."

"Why her birthday?" Cayson asked.

"She knows why," Nate told them.

"I don't get it," Jonas said.

While looking at Nate, I said, "We shared our first kiss on my birthday."

"Well, Nathaniel, now you'll never have a reason to forget Patty's birthday," Lucille said.

He glared at me as I smirked at him. He shouldn't have given me my first kiss on my birthday, and it's a solution where I benefit.

*****

Later, we sat on the couch, eating cake, and he said, "Tell your mom thanks for the cake."

"She didn't make it," I told him, taking a bite.

"Ma, did you make the cake?" Nate asked.

"Nope!" Lucille said.

"Who made the cake?" Nate asked.

"I did," I said.

"You can cook."

"Yep. Mom taught me because she didn't want me to rely on a man. Plus, I don't want to starve if I get a place of my own." I smiled.

"Well, you won't poison me when we get married."

I turned and looked at him. "Married?"

"I know you plan to go to school. You never told me where you're going."

"I'm attending a community college. I'm not ready to leave home yet, and my parents can't afford to send me away."

Relief washed over his face.

"Were you afraid I would go away and meet a college guy?"

"Pft, no."

"You did." I smirked, wiggling my finger in front of his face.

"Okay, yes, I did, but that's because I'm in love with you." His declaration took me by surprise. Nate told me that he loved me, but not that he was in love with me. "It surprised me, too."

I turned his face to mine as I leaned in and brushed my lips against his.

"Good. To fall in love with someone who isn't in love with you would suck."

"Best birthday ever." He kissed me again, intensifying the kiss.

*****

On New Year's Eve, the Grays had a party, and we attended, except for my parents, who stayed home as usual. It was your typical gathering, and Lucille being Lucille slipped me a drink. She's such an evil influence.

"Lucille," I said.

"Don't be such a party pooper. It's not like you're going to a random party. Plus, it's New Year's Eve, so live a little." She socialized with their guests.

Nate made his way to me, and I took a sip of the drink. I gagged because the drink tasted horrible. Do companies use turpentine? I dumped the contents down the sink drain.

"What's that?" Nate asked me.

"Your mom's idea of a fun time."

He laughed. "Sounds like Ma." He drank his beer.

"I'll stick to pop."

"Excellent choice."

It's not my first go-around with alcohol. The party I attended wasn't the first time I drank. Lucille would buy wine coolers and give me one when I was fifteen. Lucille and I hung out a lot. Weird, right? A parent provides a teen with alcohol. That was Lucille for you.

As the countdown began, we counted. We rang in the New Year, and Nate and I rang in it with our lips. I couldn't get enough of his kisses because they were always fabulous.