Surprise?

Patty

We stared at the positive test result. I took another test, giving me a positive outcome. Oh, boy. I needed to sit down.

I lowered the toilet lid and sat down. "I'm pregnant?"

"Well, tests don't lie."

I can't tell whether I was in shock or surprised. Neither of us could since Nate kept asking me if I was okay.

A baby? Oh, boy. I didn't know what to think.

*****

After our surprise of learning that I was pregnant, we kept the pregnancy quiet, waiting for the doctor's confirmation. I wanted to get past the first trimester since there's a risk of losing the baby, and I didn't want to think about it.

Although trying to hide a pregnancy is more challenging when you're always sick and avoiding your family. They began to suspect.

The doctor confirmed the pregnancy with my due date in December. Our time in Nashville was a success. Figures.

I also showed at three months, which meant wearing baggy clothes. I looked like a homeless person.

We decided to tell our families once we got past the first trimester. We walked into a mess with Jonas.

Grayson, Lucille, and Jonas were yelling at each other. Oh, dear.

We entered Lucille's house, and Nate said, "Hey! What's going on here?"

"Your brother knocked up his girlfriend," Grayson said.

Our faces contorted in surprise.

"I told Ma and Dad that Karen offered to raise the baby independently, but I told her no. I refuse not to be a part of my child's life," Jonas said.

"How far along is she?" Nate asked him.

"Two months," he said. "Why?"

"Nothing," he said.

We couldn't tell the family about our news because of Jonas's impending news.

"Excuse me." I walked away and left their house, heading to my parents' house.

*****

Nate

"What's wrong with Patty?" Ma asked me.

I gave her a glimpse.

"No," she said, shocked.

I sighed and narrowed my lips. "Excuse me." I left.

*****

Patty

Nate found me sitting on the picnic table behind my parents' house. He walked over and took a seat next to me. "I figured I would find you here."

"Simpler times." I sighed.

He reached over and grabbed my hand. "It's okay. At some point, we'll tell them."

"Patty? I thought I heard voices back here," Mom said.

"Hey, Mom," I said.

"What's wrong?"

Nate and I glanced at each other and then at her. "Is Dad home?"

"Yeah, he's watching TV."

I stood up and pulled down my shirt.

Mom noticed my stomach. "Come on, let's talk."

I walked towards her, with Nate following us. We told my parents our news, and they were happy for us.

Then someone knocked on the door, and Mom answered it, and in walked Grayson and Lucille. We looked at them while sitting on the couch.

"You boys sure like to do things together, don't you?" Lucille asked Nate.

"The difference is that I'm married." He smirked.

"How far along?" Grayson asked.

"Four months," I said.

"Well, you wanted grandbabies," Grayson told Lucille.

"Yep, I did," she said with a smile curling upon her lips.

Afterward, our pregnancy was smooth sailing for us, but not for Jonas. He and Karen eloped, then moved into an apartment together. Jonas always did the right thing. He loves Karen, but their relationship happened so fast, and they had their troubles. But don't all couples?

As for Nate and me, pregnancy was a trip. I would get weird-ass cravings, and sex was better during pregnancy. Let's say that my hormones went into overdrive, wearing Nate out.

But I loved when the baby kicked and moved.

*****

I lay in bed and read a magazine.

Nate saw my belly move. "What's that?"

"The baby." I flipped a page.

"What's the baby doing?"

"Moving." I flipped another page.

He reached over and laid his hand on my belly, and the baby kicked. "Whoa!"

I smiled. "Amazing, isn't it?"

"It's fantastic." He smiled and rubbed my belly. "We should pick a name."

"I know, but I was thinking of waiting until it's born since we don't know the baby's sex."

"Only because you refuse to find out."

"Hey! I want it to be a surprise."

"You hate surprises."

"So?"

He glanced at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Okay, fine. I found out what we're having. Happy?"

He got up and pointed at me. "I knew it! You little sneak!"

"I couldn't help it! I had to know!"

"Yeah, well, so did I." He shrugged.

"You didn't?"

"I did." He smirked.

"We're terrible people, aren't we?"

"Why?"

"Because we told everyone that we didn't want to know."

"Eh, they'll get over it." He laid down. "A boy?"

"Yep."

"We're having a little boy." He twisted his wedding band around his finger.

"Which reminds me, what are we going to name him?"

"Let's pick a different name."

I glanced at him as he grinned. Oh, boy. I knew that face.

It wasn't long before I was ready to pop. We got through most holidays except Christmas, when our little guy would not wait. Boy, I was right.

He made his appearance right before Christmas. Labor was intriguing. Let's be honest. It hurt like a bitch, and I almost crushed Nate's hand. After many, many, many hours, the baby had arrived.

The nurse handed the baby to me, swaddled in a blanket, and he was the spitting image of Nate and was beautiful.

I handed him to Nate, and he held him. Looking at Nate, cradling our son, was the best feeling in the world.

"Wow, I'm a father," he said in awe. "Well, little guy, your mommy did an amazing job bringing you into this world."

The baby let out a squeak. Nate sat on the bed with me. I leaned over and looked at both of my guys, and I can't love them more than I do now.

Everyone came to visit us and to hold the baby.

"Well, what did you pick for my grandson's name?" Lucille asked us.

We looked at each other and smiled.