Happy 18 birthday, Patty!

Patty

My family awoke me. "Happy Birthday!"

They realize I have school, right?

I groaned and threw a shoe at them.

"Yep, you're not a morning person," Danny said because of my lack of cheery disposition in the morning.

I glanced at the clock, which read five a.m. Is my family insane? I rolled back over until my alarm blared.

I closed my eyes as my alarm beeped. It sucks to go to school on your birthday. Why can't my birthday happen when I don't have school? Thanks, Mom and Dad, for having me in November.

I got up and got dressed, eating breakfast before school. Let's hope today doesn't suck.

*****

Today didn't suck like I thought it would. Liz walked home with me to celebrate my birthday, and mom invited a few people over for pizza and cake.

Lucille, Jonas, and Cayson came, along with my family and a few other people. I greeted them at the door. I checked to see if Nate came, but he didn't. Disappointment flooded me, but I hid it behind my smile.

Lucille handed me a bag as they wished me a happy birthday. Well, at least they came.

I talked to people during the evening, had pizza and cake, and opened gifts. It was a lovely birthday, considering my frustration.

I was in the kitchen, getting ready to refill my drink when someone stood behind me, and I turned to face Nate.

"Happy birthday, Patty."

My eyes widened. "Thanks."

He stepped closer to me as I pressed my back to the counter. Our faces were mere inches from each other. He placed each of his hands on the countertop, trapping me against it. He leaned into me. "Remember when I said I wanted to kiss you?"

"Yeah?" My breathing hitched.

"I said I wanted to wait until you were eighteen, and today you turned eighteen."

My eyes flicked from his eyes to his lips. I never realized how full his lips were until I was close and personal. My heart thumped in my chest as I gulped.

"Now, I'll kiss you."

My lips parted. Oh, God. He moved one hand to my hip and placed his other hand on my face. He traced my bottom lip with his thumb, sending shivers down my back.

I thought he would lean in and kiss me, but he pulled back, leaving me confused.

"Just kidding." He smirked.

What happened? When I realized what he had done, my face contorted in horror. I did what I did well. I let my anger get the best of me, grabbed some chocolate cake, and shoved it into his face, surprising him. The remnants of chocolate cake covered my hand.

"What was that for?"

"You shouldn't have teased me!"

He grabbed me.

I squirmed. "Let me go!"

"No!"

Oh, dear God. What was he doing?

He grabbed my face, crashed his lips into mine, and surprised me. I fought at first but gave in and kissed him back.

I moved my arms around his neck as he wrapped his arms around my waist. He flicked my lips with his tongue, wanting access. I parted my lips as he slipped his tongue past my lips. Our tongues swirled around each other as he deepened the kiss.