First date

Patty

Liz spent most of the week trying to get me to talk about what happened between her and Danny, but I brushed her off. It's weird because I never expected to see her and my brother making out.

I prefer if we never discuss them, ever. Plus, I was wondering where Nate was taking me this Friday night. He mentioned dinner and a movie, but I'm hoping the date wasn't fancy. My fanciness consisted of weddings when my mom forced me to wear a dress, and I got away with wearing dress slacks to funerals.

Thinking about the date made me anxious, and I hadn't spoken to Nate since my birthday. Thoughts floated through my head about that night, wondering if that night was a one-time thing. Ugh, I need to stop overthinking.

When I requested Friday night off, they gave it to me since I work every weekend. I hope this date goes well, or it'll suck, getting stood up.

Feeling anxious about a date is bad enough, but it is ten times worse when it's with the neighbor guy you've had a massive crush on while growing up. On top of that, he's seven years older than me, which means he has more experience. Trust me. I've seen the girls that he's dated. My nerves kicked up as Friday approached. Will someone shoot me?

*****

After school on Friday, I hurried home. I had no clue what to wear since Nate never told me the dress code.

I debated calling him but didn't want to appear as the "needy" type. I didn't know my type since I had no experience with relationships. He said he wanted to go slow. What does that mean?

How slow does one take it? Is there a time length? Do we know the definition of slow? I'm sure I'm not the only girl that has questioned these things. Or am I?

When do you get ready? How long should you take?

More questions followed. Do I wait in my bedroom or the living room? Do I meet him at the front door? Am I too eager or not eager enough? Would the date be an epic failure? Will this ruin our friendship? Will he hold my hand? Will he kiss me?

I made myself neurotic with all these questions. Not only was I becoming obsessive, but a nervous wreck.

I walked into my bedroom and set my backpack on the floor. A dozen red roses and a note laid on my bed. I picked up the roses and inhaled the scent. Roses are my favorite flower.

I laid them down and picked up the note.

Patty

I wanted to do this date right. So, I left you these roses waiting for you when you came home—a special gift for a remarkable woman. Dress casual. Jeans are okay because I want you to feel comfortable. I'll be at your house around five to pick you up.

Nate

I smiled when I read his note. Wow. I noticed that it was three p.m., which gave me two hours to get ready, and it only took me forty-five minutes at the most. My parents always taught me punctuality.

If you weren't on time, you got left behind. It was an excellent rule to have.

I hopped in the shower, washed up, and shaved my underarms and legs. I'm not sure why since I'm wearing pants, but I felt like I needed to.

Then I dried off and dressed. I styled my hair, putting on light makeup to bring out my features. It took me years to learn how to wear makeup. The first time I ever tried, I looked like a clown. Trust me. It wasn't pretty.

I finished with time to spare, so I sat on my bed and watched TV. As the time drew near, so did my nerves. It was five o'clock, and my leg shook in anticipation, waiting on Nate. My biggest fear was that he wouldn't show. Ugh.