Party issues

Patty

After Halloween, I kept my distance from the Gray boys. It seemed like I had nothing but issues every time I was around them. Plus, I wanted to focus on school and work.

Liz had other ideas like the party she decided that we should attend on Friday night. I didn't know about her plan and thought I was staying the night and having a girl's night with junk food, movies, and gossip.

She had other ideas. Why was this a terrible idea?

*****

As we walked to someone's house, I knew this idea was terrible.

"Come on, Patty!"

I dawdled with my arms crossed. "Liz, why are we attending a party? If our parents find out...."

She stopped and turned to me. "They won't find out. Live a little, Patty."

My stomach churned. I didn't like this idea. I wasn't the girl to sneak behind her parents' back, cause trouble, or be irresponsible. I followed the rules.

Liz opposed the rules, which made her a rule breaker. We were complete opposites, and how we were best friends was beyond me.

I took a deep breath and followed her to a house. You could hear the blaring music five houses down the street. We found people hanging outside as people entered while people left. They all had a cup in their hand, which I'm sure had alcohol.

We walked in, and a few people greeted Liz, handing her a cup. She smiled, took it, and drank from it like it was water. They gave me a cup, but I declined it because they could slip a drug into it.

I saw people from school I didn't know well and tried to stick close to Liz, but she disappeared into the house, leaving me to fend for myself. Great.

I walked around the party as people talked and danced. Some were playing drinking games or making out. Gross. It's a typical teenage party.

I found myself in the kitchen and noticed a punch bowl. At least they have punch that you can drink. Not thinking, I picked up a glass and filled it to the brim. I took a sip. What the heck was in this punch?

I winced and stuck out my tongue but figured it was an off-brand. I shrugged and drank the punch. After the second cup or fourth, I developed an insane amount of courage and ended up dancing.

After taking a break from busting a move, I stumbled around and came across a phone. Oh, goody. I'll call Nate and give him a piece of my mind. Why not? Someone should tell him off for playing head games.

I picked up the receiver and tried to focus on the numbers. Two phones make it challenging. Who has two phones side by side? Isn't one enough? Eh, they must have teens in the house.

After I hit the last number, it rang. It rang twice until someone answered. Hello?

I had a challenging time deciphering who it was, so I guessed. "Nate?"

No, it's Jonas.

"Oh, hey, Jonas!"

Patty? Where are you? Why is there loud music?

I swayed back and forth. "I'm at a party. Where I am is none of your business because I'm not sure where I am." I slurred my words.

Tell me the address, and I'll come to get you.

"Nope. I want to speak to Nate. Then I'll never bother you again."

Are you drunk?

"Nah, I drank some punch which doesn't make you drunk. Now get Nate." I swayed back and forth and placed a hand on the wall, trying to steady myself.