Five

CHANCE

Today was Friday and also pay day. This morning I had a mandatory meeting for all the employees and I stressed how important it was everyone be there. Tomorrow night was the night of the Gigi Fox's party. She was an up and coming rapper that reached out to me because she wanted her birthday party hosted at the club. This wasn't the first time Luxe hosted a celebrity party but this was the first time I would hosting one as the new person in charge. Gigi Fox had a big social media following so I was being meticulous about everything. I needed everything to be on point.

I followed through on my uncle's advice and even hired an assistant. Her name is Stephanie Cruz and she had four years of experience working in the club business and like me just moved her from down south. She is professional and respectable and knows what she's doing. Today in prep of the party tonight I had a mandatory meeting for all of my employees. I wanted them to know how important tonight was, run down everything Gigi requested and introduce them to Stephanie. All of my employee's were present, all except one.

I couldn't say I was surprised because Eli was something else. Since the last run in we had every time she saw me she was mugging me. I didn't mind it, I found it cute to be honest because I knew it was all behind my boss comment but I couldn't understand why since technically I was her boss. I approved her hours, I payed her and I made sure that she was well taken care of whenever she was working. I made sure each and every employee knew about the meeting this morning and how important it was to be there and everyone showed up except her.

She was a vital part of making tonight a success but now there wasn't going to be a tonight for her. I was usually a mellow easy going guy but I hated not being taken seriously. I wanted respect, I demanded it and I felt like she didn't respect me at all. Eli needed to see just how serious I was and tonight she would.

All the employees were supposed to show up early tonight to pitch in with the set up and I directed Steve, the bouncer to tell Eli that I wanted to speak to her as soon as she got here. I was finalizing last minute plans when there was a knock on my office door before Eli walked in without my say so. What was the purpose in knocking if you were just going to barge in anyway.

"You wanted to see me?"

I motioned for her to take a seat and she walked into the room and plopped down into a seat. She was dressed down in light gray sweat suit, blue visor on her head and sneakers on her feet.

"You look beautiful as always," I teased her knowing that my comment would set her off but for some reason I got a kick out of pushing her buttons.

She frowned, "Why am I in here?"

"Because I'm your boss and I requested you to come and here you are.

"This again," she mumbled.

"Don't worry this won't take long at all," I pulled open one of my desk drawers pulled out an envelope with her name on it and passed it to her, "This is for you."

She snatched the envelope up and opened it. I watched as she looked over the contents inside and then glared at me. She was mad.

"What the hell is this mean?"

"Your a smart girl so I'm sure you can comprehend but I'll explain. I wont' be needing your services tonight or for the rest of the weekend."

"And why the hell not? What about the party tonight?"

I ignored her questions and decided to ask a question of my own.

"I'm sure you were aware of the mandatory meeting I had this morning right?"