IV

Everything happens in slow motion. Luke's arm around my waist quickly pushes me behind him. "C'mon Harry. You are better than this."

Harry's jaw clenches and he observes me, his fierce gaze causes me to look down in embarrassment. Despite everything going on I can't help but realize this is the first time I've been in the same room as an attractive guy. I wonder if he can tell.

"Who are you?" Harry's question is directed at me, his green eyes meet my blue ones. The question seems stupid, he knows who I am. He knows who wants me. "Why are you so important to Will?"

I step aside, away from the shield Luke has made out of his body. "Does it matter?"

"Yes," Harry says before he shakes his head, "No- no I guess it doesn't matter. You can willingly come with me now, or I will take you by force and then tell Will about your resistance."

"Harry, I know there is another way-" Luke starts before Harry interrupts.

"There is no way around this!" Harry shouts at his father. "Dammit, stop making this harder!"

Luke looks like he is about to say something, about to fight back, but he stops himself. I have to give Luke credit, he has an amazing amount of self control. Instead of yelling at his son, Luke just stares in disgust. "You know, Harry, when you told me you wanted to leave home. I was happy. I thought my son was going to do something with his life, something important," Luke shakes his head, "then I found out why you wanted to leave. You wanted to become an Extinct. After everything I taught you... you wanted to be a monster."

Momentarily wounded, Harry just stares at his father. I wonder what pushed Harry away from his father, what made him become an Extinct. From what I understand, Luke is not a bad guy. So I can only assume he raised Harry to be a good guy. How can a son be so different from his father?

"Don't call me a monster," Harry says between clenched teeth, "not after everything you have done."

I wonder what Harry is talking about. Luke, who has been nothing but nice and generous to me, appears to have done something to make Harry feel vial towards him. I just ignore my confusion and keep listening to them talk.

Luke doesn't seem to be affected by Harry's harsh remarks at all. He just stares past Harry at the cream colored wall. He then adverts his attention to me. "Harry, she's a good girl. She doesn't deserve this."

"I can't protect her the way you want me to." Harry looks at me and I wish I was still hiding behind Luke's large body frame.

"I'll be the one to protect her. You just need to tell Will you couldn't find her." Luke is pleading with his son, and I feel guilty it is all for me.

"I don't need anyone's protection." I protest, causing both of their gazes to meet mine.

Harry raises his eyebrows, but not with amusement or confusion. With amazement. Just as fast as the foreign emotion crosses his face, it leaves. His features return to the poker face he wears so well. Even emotionless he looks like an angel. "Now, please come with me. Or I will just call Will to come over here."

I look at Luke. I look at how worried he is and I feel guilty. I shouldn't have hid here. I put Luke in such a dangerous position. He didn't deserve that, I don't know what Mother was thinking. I know that I can't allow Luke to get in trouble for this.

With the thought of helping Luke I nod my head. "Okay." I can't tell who is the most shocked by my cooperation, Luke or Harry. "I have to," I talk directly to Luke, "thank you for trying, but I have to go. Will won't stop looking for me... it was selfish of me to come here. I left my mom all by herself- not to mention the amount of trouble you could get in for this. I... I'm sorry."