III

Extincts wear certain uniforms whenever they are on duty. These uniforms consist of all black clothing; tight black jeans and a tight black shirt. A single white line diagonally rests on the left shoulder, identifying the person as an Extinct. The Extincts also wear black combat boots which make echoing noises each time the person takes a step. I've heard the noise so many times, I've learned to fear it. That is why my stomach does uncomfortable flips when I hear Harry enter the house. 

"This should be quick." I hear Harry tell his father while his footsteps echo throughout the house, taunting me.

"This is ridiculous." Luke tells Harry. I can hear lighter footsteps following the louder ones, Luke must be following Harry.

"Will wants this girl back, I'm just following my orders." Harry's voice is muffled because he is so far away from where I am leaning against the wall.

I hear no more voices, and I know that I now need to hide. I ought to be good at hiding- I've been hiding all of my life.

I try to remember the good hiding spots where I would hide while playing hide and seek with my siblings. I always hid under the bed, but I have a feeling Harry won't be tricked so easily.

My heartbeat increases, I'm running out of time. Surely they won't be downstairs much longer. Where can I hide? I don't know my way around Luke's house and panic is blurring all of my other emotions. I need to hide.

When Harry says, "I'm going to check upstairs," I realize that I don't have nearly as much time as I had hoped for.

Fear sets in while I slowly take a step towards Harry's room. The door is ajar so I should be able to sneak into it without making too much noise.

I don't know what I was hoping for when I entered Harry's room- maybe a portal that I read about once- but whatever it was it clearly isn't here. There is no escape, no hiding spot, and above all else there is no time. I can already here the familiar footsteps.

Will's face flashes in my head, I see him ripping my clothes off. I see my mom crying while she is forced to watch. I can't let that happen. I won't.

Adrenaline pumps through my veins while I lightly cross the room. 

"Why do you still have that up?" Harry questions, he is so close.

I continue across the room,  just quieter. 

"Your mother painted that." Luke replies. His voice is steady, if he is worried he isn't letting it show.

Harry doesn't reply, but I'm sure if he did I wouldn't have heard it- my hearts beating too fast to notice anything else. 

As quietly as possible I open the window I walked across the room for. Harry is clearly checking the other rooms first, but I still have no time to hide. My only hope is to actually escape. Luke's house is only two stories high, but I don't plan on jumping. I'm simply going to climb on the tree and wait until I hear Harry leave. Surely he won't check in a tree.

I carefully push the top part of the screen out of its sturdy spot. While grabbing the loose part of the screen I push the bottom half out so I'm the only reason the screen hasn't fallen to the ground. 

I hear a door close, and another open. I'm running out of time. I suddenly become aware of the fact that the door leading into this room is still cracked from when I entered it.

I gently pull the loose screen into the house and lightly place it between a box and the cream colored wall. Without a second thought I slip out of the room and onto the large branch. 

Reaching inside the house, I attempt to pull the window down. However, the window is only halfway down when I hear, "Now I just have to check my old room."