o. its never too warm

IT WAS SURPRISINGLY WARM FOR A FEBRUARY DAY, especially since they were in Scotland, and yet Ivy wore the yellow and black jumper she had gotten for Christmas like it was the only clothing she had. Ivy was glad it was a weekend as she could finally get some studying done away from her friends, where they would not question why she was frantically looking through every single arithmancy book she had. She had to admit it was not something she was good at however she did need to be very good at it if she even wanted to consider being a curse breaker.

"Ivy? Ivy? Ivy for Merlin's sake!" Luke yelled, waking her out of her daze, waving his hands in front of her face. "It's boiling, why are you wearing a jumper?"

Ivy gave him a look. "It's a lovely jumper and it's not that warm. I'm just fine." She lied.

It was very obvious even to the oblivious Luke Humphreys, as she was sweating undeniably. He rose an eyebrow, just one.

"What? I can just cast a cooling charm anyway." Ivy reminded him. "I think I can raise an eyebrow now, look!"

Like earlier in the year and several times beforehand, Ivy focused on lifting just one of her eyebrows, eyes widening. Her face turned bright red but she just couldn't get one eyebrow to budge. Well, she could get two of them up. She couldn't get one up. All she wanted was to finally do it.

"You'll do it eventually Ives." Leo said, sitting down.

"Well good morning to you too sleepyhead." Luke put an arm around his shoulder and ruffled his already messy hair. "What took you so long? Needed a cold shower?"

"What the- Luke no! Wha-why?" Leo spluttered, pumpkin juice dribbling down his chin unattractively.

Luke laughed. "Just trying to keep you on your toes mate."

__________

Sitting on the dewy grass on a warm day probably wasn't the best idea Ivy Parry ever had but what else could she do? She couldn't sit in the library and have her friends find out how terrible she was at arithmancy. So, instead she stayed outside near the lake, eating some oatmeal cookies and flipping through pages of every arithmancy book she owned.

"Having trouble Parry?"

Ivy looked up and blushed a deep crimson. "What's it to you Percy? The arithmancy homework is really difficult. This is the first time I've seen you outside in a while."

Percy sat down next to her. "The reason why you're finding it so difficult is because you're overthinking it." He avoided everything else she had said as it was obvious she was struggling. "What you want to do, is read over these theories and look at the number charts."

"Thanks." Ivy smiled appreciatively at him, scribbling down some notes. "Now what?"

Percy paused and clicked his tongue. "It's quite simple really. Just write about how the theories would be true or false and give evidence using the charts."

Ivy slumped. "It seems so easy now you've explained it. I feel like an idiot."

"Everyone has something they're not good at." Percy reminded her. "You struggle with arithmancy and I-well I am a terrible flyer."

Ivy laughed. "Well that was to be expected, I mean you spend so much time brooding in the library." Noting his annoyed expression she patted his shoulder. "Kidding, kidding! It's just I need to be really good at arithmancy and I'm really not."

"You could be." Percy closed her books, allowing her to focus more on him. "You just need to stop overthinking it all the time."

He looked over her and noticed the yellow pullover she was wearing. "You're actually wearing that?"

"What? You gave it to me and it's lovely." Ivy felt a wave of embarrassment rush through her; she fingered the jumper. "Who made it?"

"My mum heard about you and insisted she made you one. I think Fred or George must have mentioned you." Percy muttered the last bit under his breath. "I still haven't killed them for that."

The girl giggled. "You're actually not that bad Weasley."

__________

"Thanks for walking with me." said Ivy as they approached the Great Hall. "Luke and Leo were spending time together today and it feels weird intruding." She paused before adding. "And I don't really want them to know I'm not good at something. I love them really, it's just, I'm like their rock I guess."

"It's fine." Percy stared at her before continuing. "I'll see you later...Ivy."

"See you Percy."

They walked through the doors together, splitting to go to their separate tables. Luke Humphreys turned towards the Ravenclaw table, where Leo Whitehall was sat, and gave him a look. Leo just gave a smug smile and winked; it was inevitable now. Ivy Parry had already fallen and she didn't even know it.