A deep voice answered, Patty?

"Nate?"

Yeah.

"I have a bone to pick with you, mister hot and cold, who refuses to kiss me because he's dumb."

Are you drunk?

"Nope. I had punch."

Where are you?

"That's not why I'm calling you. You don't have to worry about me anymore. You made yourself loud and clear. You don't want me, which is fine because I won't bother you even though I like you. I've moved on from you." I tried to steady myself.

I'm coming to get you.

"Nope, there's no need. You don't care about me, and that's fine because I have a house full of people who care."

Patty, I'm getting dressed and coming to get you. Now tell me where you are.

"You're sexy when you growl." I giggled.

Nate sighed.

"But I'm good. I must go because I need more punch. Ta ta." I dropped the receiver and staggered away as he yelled my name into the receiver. Someone walked by and hung up the phone.

I walked over to the punch bowl and refilled my cup. This punch is outstanding.

I didn't have a care in the world and drank and stumbled around the party. It felt good to tell Nate off because I didn't need him or anyone and was my own person.

As I made my way around, unexpected guests arrived.

*****

Nate

"All right, split up and find her," I told Jonas and Cayson.

My brothers nodded, and we searched the house for Patty. I found Patty staggering and swaying as she tried to walk, and I walked over and spun her.

"Nate! What are you doing here?" Patty tried to keep her balance.

"I'm taking you home."

"But I'm staying with Liz, who's making out with a boy." Patty giggled.

"Not tonight, you're not. I'm taking you to my house."

"Stop!" Patty held out her hand and placed it on my chest. "Are you trying to seduce me? Because it won't work. You won't even kiss me."

"You know why I won't kiss you."

"Yep, because I'm Patty, Danny's kid sister and the neighborhood good girl who gets harassed by her crush. Then her neighbor plays her." Patty giggled.

"I already told you why."

"But that's not the real reason. But it's all good." Patty flailed her arms. "I'm used to playing second fiddle to other girls, and I'm not the girl whom guys pick, right? I'm too nice."

I stood there as she continued her drunken rant.

"But let me tell you something. I'm a nice girl who's one of a kind." Patty turned and walked away from me, dropping my cup into a garbage can. "Patty has left the building!"

Jonas and Cayson found me.

I said, "I found Patty."

"And?" Jonas asked me.

"She's drunk." I sighed.

Liz walked up to us. "What are you guys doing here?"

"We should ask you the same thing," I said.

"Patty and I came to a party."

"Oh, yeah? Because coming to a party with your best friend means ditching them, and then they get drunk off their ass."

"But she didn't take a drink from anyone."

"Well, she got it from somewhere. So, I'll take care of her. It would be best if you rethought your friendship with her." I walked away with Jonas and Cayson following me.

*****

Patty

The Gray boys found me halfway down the street as I stumbled while walking home. My stomach churned as the world spun. I stumbled onto the grass and heaved.

Someone pulled my hair away from my face as they rubbed my back. I fell onto my knees and heaved until I emptied my stomach's contents.

I sat down. Jonas handed Nate a napkin to clean off my face. I stared at Nate as he wiped off my mouth and chin. After he finished cleaning my face, he helped me up. I looked at him until I passed out in his arms. I didn't realize how tired I was.

He picked me up bridal style, carried me to his car, set me in the back seat, and closed the door. I'm never drinking again.