Again In Neverland

Chapter 1: A New beginning

Miles upon miles of luscious, green hills rolled by the window of a fast moving, blue car. The girl sitting in the backseat of the car carelessly stared out that window seeing nothing but what she had seen for the last few hours.

Just hills of grass and the occasional heard of cows or sheep passed by.

If she were lucky, the car would pull over and she could get out to stretch her long legs but that was rare. The driver and his wife were determined to make it to their destination before sunset.

The girl with long red hair would check her phone endlessly for word from her friends but it seemed that out in the middle of Northern Ireland, cell phone reception was unreachable.

"Mom, are we there yet? It's been hours and I swear I'm going to die of boredom."

"Stop your complaining Lilith, we'll be there soon." The woman hushed.

Lilith spread out across the backseat of the car and yawned, "But how long is soon?"

"Look just ahead," her father encouraged, "There it is."

Lilith shot up and peered out the front windshield. A few miles down the seemingly long road was an unreadable sign and beyond that were small blurs.

Once the family in the car got closer, Lilith could read the sign.

'Welcome to Newcastle.

Population 7,444'

"Make that 7,447. " Lilith said aloud with a sigh.

"Don't worry Lil. I'm sure you'll find life in Newcastle just as exciting as Sydney." Her mother smiled.

"Right. Because the ever green hills of this town compare so nicely to the white sand beaches."

"We know it will be a difficult transition, but you're a friendly girl. Good things will happen, I promise."

"I hope you're right."

Lilith checked the time on her phone and as she did her screensaver sent pangs of sadness through her heart. A picture of her and Abigail from last summer lit up behind the clock.

She had to leave behind her bestfriend when her family moved from Australia to Ireland for her father's job. She understood why but, not why she couldn't stay.

Now she was being forced into a new life, in a new country, all alone.

The car slowed down and drove through the town with curiosity. Her father was elated at the sign of the creative style of the architecture but all Lilith cared about was getting to the new house and setting up the wifi. She was longing for communication with Abigail. It had been a four day trip to Ireland and she was absolutely exhausted, but a conversation with Abigail would be better than sleep.

"Can we just hurry up and get to the house already? I'm sick of being in this stupid car."

"Lilith, you watch your tone." Her mother warned.

"I'm sorry. But it's true!"

The car turned another corner and pulled up to a house. As soon as the engine turned off, Lilith jumped out and stretched. Groaning as her back and knuckles cracked from the excruciating journey.

She stopped stretching and looked out the house. It was unlike anything she'd ever seen. A tall door, wide windows, gigantic trees growing in the front yard.

This was definitely not Australia anymore.

Her mother walked up the pebble pavement behind her with a box in her hands.

"So, do you like it?"

"Well," Lilith contemplated, "It sure is.... interesting."

"Oh, come on. Give it a chance. Let me show you you're room."

The box was shoved into Lilith's arms and her mother led the way inside. Pieces of furniture had already been laid out and the house was unlocked.

Lilith's mouth hung open at the sheer size of the ceiling.

"Amazing, isn't it?" Her mother giggled.

She walked up a spiral staircase and Lilith followed close behind for fear of getting lost.

They reached the top and her mother turned to the left and went to a door at the very end of the hall. She placed a hand on the knob and faced Lilith.

"Ready?" She asked.

"As I'll ever be."

She pushed open the door and invited Lilith in.

The room was quite big. The walls were painted an ugly shade of peach and the floor was a fuzzy, white carpet. Her bed was placed against a wall and an empty bookshelf sat opposite that. Some drawers and a desk were arranged on the right side, and to the very left of the room was a very large window with a pillowed sill underneath it.

Lilith dropped the box on her bed and ran over to the window. It was like something out of a movie. She sat on the wide sill of pillows and gently opened the window. Before her she could clearly see the setting sun behind the hills.

It took her breath away.

"Mother, this is truly unbelievable."

"I knew you'd like it. That's why I chose it for you."

Lilith closed the window and hugged her mother, "Thanks. But I'm repainting the walls"

"I knew you would. You're welcome. Now listen, I'll bring up some supper from the car and then you better get some sleep. We have a long day of unpacking tomorrow."

"Alright, when will Father set up the wifi? I need to talk to Abigail."

"Soon, love bug. We need to get organized first."

Lilith sighed again and nodded.

Her mother disappeared downstairs and Lilith opened the box on her bed. She pulled out her current book and sat on the sill. Even though it was dark, she could read with the ceiling light and enjoyed the view of the night sky.

"Margaret, have you seen my glasses?" She heard her father yell.

"On your head, Matthew."

"Oh, right." He replied as he fumbled with them.

Lilith laughed and continued reading.

Her mother came in the room some time later with a bag full of food from a restaurant in the town.

Lilith gobbled the bag down in minutes. Afterwards she pulled a pair of pajamas from the box, plugged her useless phone into the wall, and grabbed her diary with a pen. She sat down on the sill again, this time with a blanket on her lap.

She wrote,

'Dear Diary,

Tomorrow begins the first day of my new life.

Love, Lilith'

Then she closed the book, placed it under her pillow, and fell fast asleep listening to the crickets chirp outside her window.