Bandana Dee's Short Turn in the Spotlight

Bandana Dee's POV:

A bit hurt, I continue to stare at Kirby's back while he plays some board game called 'Sorry!' with a bunch of other Star Warrior kids and a few Toads. Funny thing is, every time they draw the card labeled 'Sorry!,' none of them sound all that sorry.

They all keep chatting animatedly about something called 'Independence Day' that's today, and how they're hoping the Elves and Manga-Heads will bring back some candy from the parade, and how excited they are for the fireworks tonight that Tenshi no Sakura is actually gonna let them watch from the roof of a nearby building as long as they're super quiet on the way there. Sounds cool, except that no one can talk to me about it so I'm just the extra guy who's sitting and listening to everyone else.

So, Kirby, what's up with you today? Yeah, I'm doing great too, except for the fact that I CAN'T TALK AGAIN. Yeah, I know, no point in paying attention to the mute. Not like I care that you're completely ignoring me. I'm just gonna sit here and stare at the wall silently. If I could, I'd chat with somebody or sing or something, but guess what? I can't. Do you know why I can't? Cause Kitty-Bozo's spell doesn't work out here. Yeah, whatever. I'm just gonna quit thinking at you while I'm still sort of ahead.

Sighing, I lie down on the concrete floor of the shelter rec-room and stare at the ceiling. Kirby's found someone to hang out with, but I'm all alone. I hated not being able to talk all those years so much, but this is even worse. Because now I know what it's like to be able to share your thoughts and words with someone, and now I can't again. I can't even 'dwee' or 'dee' anymore. And it stinks. Being stuck in silence, being just the mute Waddle Dee again, it stinks majorly.

I know how you feel, although I've never been able to say more than 'dwee' or 'dee' myself. Did you just say that you were able to actually talk once?

Surprised, I look up and see a Waddle Dee looking over at me curiously from the other side of the room. Finally, someone to talk to! Eagerly, I get up and run over to them. Yeah, actually, I did! It was so awesome! Everyone could hear me, and I wasn't just all squeaky like you would think I would be. I'm Bandana. What's your name?

Laughing mentally, the other Waddle Dee 'smiles' at me. Well, like most Waddle Dee, I didn't have a name for the longest time. But now, the others all call me Alex. It's short for Alexander, like Alexander Graham Bell, the guy who invented the telephone. I try to invent ways for Waddle Dee to be hearable, but the best thing I've come up with so far is a clipboard and pencil.

Making a face, I mentally chuckle back and say, Yeah, that works, but it's not all that effective, is it? Especially when someone's busy and there's no way to actually make yourself heard.

Grimacing, Alex agrees, Yeah. By the way, welcome to the shelter, Bandana. I'd heard that there was a new Waddle Dee arrival, so I came looking for you. Come on, you can come hang out with us Waddle Dee. We usually congregate in the computer lab and play games and stuff. You wanna join us? Super Sonic Racing is awesome, even if it's really old.

I want to go with him, because I really want someone to hang out with. But I don't want to just leave Kirby here by himself without warning, and I don't have a way to tell him that I'm going. He's my best bud and my little bro, and even if he's getting old enough to take care of himself it's still my job to make sure he doesn't get himself into trouble. Sakura actually told me to keep an eye on him for her, and I don't want to disappoint her, but...

Finally, I hesitantly agree with Alex, Sure. After glancing over at Kirby one last time, I follow him out of the room.

After a couple of minutes of traversing the cement hallways, I wonder, Wait a second. How can you hear me without magic? Isn't mind reading impossible without it, or something?