The Beginning of The End

From the desk of Shigeru Miyamoto:

Sakurai-san:

Yes, I realize how many ethical issues there were involved in the creation of the Nintendo World, which will hereafter be referred to as 'The Project.'

The first issue you addressed was the quote-unquote "genetic engineering." Since all of these creatures only reside inside The Project, and only as computer programs, there was no "genetic engineering" involved, at least not by any technical definition.

Secondly, the use of growth enhancers on the first generation of creatures: This was absolutely necessary, as we never had enough staff to raise all of the creatures within The Project from infancy. Therefore, the first generation of each species was programmed to think they had a childhood, even if they did not in actuality. Also, there were no adverse effects from use of said growth enhancers, at least not that we were ever able to tell.

Third, you addressed the issue of 'what if something were ever to happen to the box?' Well, seeing as how The Project is kept in the archives, with little to no maintenance, something is obviously eventually going to cause it to quit operating. When this happens, everything within the box will be deleted from its memory banks. They may experience a headache, they will probably be quite frightened. But, Sakurai-san, you must remember that nothing within the box is actually alive.

I know that you feel a fondness toward all the programs inside The Project, especially those that reside on the 'Pupupuland' point, and I do as well. But that's all they are- programs. If anything were ever to happen to them, nothing actually living would be harmed. Just some programs, which can come and go with no real effect to the real world. The Project is only that- just a project. Just a venture into science which turned out to be a failure, anyway. The Project cost us a lot of money, and never made us a single yen in return.

As far as I'm concerned, we need never speak of this subject again. I am sure you understand me clearly, my young co-worker.

One other thing- that character which you came up with for the game "Kirby of the Stars: The Story of the Fountain of Dreams," or "Kirby's Adventure" in America, (what is his name again? Mega Naito? Something like that? I know it was never mentioned in-game,) seems to be receiving an extremely good response from both Japanese and American players, male and female alike. Please plan to include him again in future games.

Thank you,

Shigeru Miyamoto.

************************************************************************************

Sakura's POV:

My paws crumple the sheet of notebook paper up into a little ball. In rage, I shriek out, "Gaaaaaaargh!" and throw the offensive piece of paper into the black floodwaters immediately below the bluff I stand on, as hard as I can.

It's the summer of 1993, and I'm looking down on the Missouri River. From what I've heard on the radio recently, this is quite possibly the worst flood the country has ever experienced. Somehow, although I'm typically big-hearted, I can't bring myself to care. Now emotionless, I watch as a whole house drifts by in the angry waters, then turn and glare into the sunset, not caring that it's bad for my eyesight. That's a feeling that I've had lot, recently: not caring.

The dim light of twilight probably makes me look like I'm a dark reddish-orangish color, with dark pink feathered wings, but in reality I'm a vibrant red-orange, with light pink wings. At my side is a single sheathed sword, with a ninja-style, black, leather hilt, and a blade almost as long as I am tall. It gets in the way sometimes, but it's all I've got. It doesn't technically have a name, but I call it 'Silence.' That's the only sound a Ninja or her sword makes, after all.