09 : Lightweight

Your POV

"I'll have a double martini with a vodka chaser."
The bartender shot me a questionable look the moment after I yelled my order over the pounding music, which made my brain feel beyond the capacity of my skull.
Chris's face twisted the same way; eyebrows raised and eyes flickering with disapproval.

"Is that strong enough for you, Y/n?" He asked, rubbing the back of his neck uncertainly. "I'm not sure how I feel about having to carry you all the way home when you're too drunk to stand." He forced a smile, but the undeniable crease in his forehead told me that he hadn't forgotten how much of a lightweight I was.

"I've had a rough week." I defended, taking my drinks from the bar and completely downing the shot of vodka, wincing as the scratchy liquid slid unpleasantly down my throat. "And I can get picked up by someone else if it's that much trouble for you." I choked out, laughing slightly.

Chris's eyebrow cocked up further curiously. "Picked up by who?"

"A girl called Alara." I shrugged dismissively, suddenly realising that I'd need her to cover for me if Jason became suspicious. The thought of me lying to him settled a faint nauseous feeling in my stomach, but I quickly brushed it off and pushed the thought to the back of my mind.

"Alara?" Chris asked quizzically, tilting his head slightly and taking a sip of his own drink. "Is that who you've been staying with?"

Given the fact that I hadn't consumed any alcohol in over a year, I started to feel the effect straight away, and the truth slipped out my mouth before I could stop it. "No, I've been staying with my boyfriend: Jason."

Chris instantly stiffened and physically winced at the sound of his name. His eyebrows knitted together and his disturbed eyes found mine, a sudden pain pooling within them. "Jason McCann?" He begged for confirmation, his lips parting slightly.

"Yeah." I picked up my martini and took a big gulp to try and avoid the burning stare that Chris held on me. "He's been a dick these past few days though. Hasn't said a word to me." I shrugged, my words suddenly spilling out like I had no control what-so-ever.

"Your boyfriend is Jason McCann?" Chris repeated, his eyes wide and confused, matching his puzzled tone of voice.

"Yeah." I continued, silently begging myself to stop talking.

Chris fell quiet for a moment, until he sucked his teeth and shook his head. "Oh." He mumbled with a slight nod. I fidgeted uncomfortably at his audible disappointment, and leant up against the bar to try and steady myself. Awkwardness surrounded us, until Chris cleared his throat and looked back up at me. "And he's, um... He's cool with you being here... with me?" He said unsurely.

"Actually, he doesn't know." I informed, feeling the alcohol become more and more effective by the second. "But that's a good thing, right? It means me and you can hang out again." I grinned, beginning to feel overly giddy.

"Yeah." Chris nodded, pulling his lower lip into his mouth restlessly. "And I'm so grateful for that... But I don't think Jason will be if he finds out about this."

"He's not gonna find out." I shook my head and stumbled closer to him, before literally pouring the whole of my drink into my mouth and swallowing it difficultly. I spluttered after and squeezed my eyes shut. "Oh my god." I heaved, gripping onto the side of the bar whilst my legs became unsteady.

"Hey, hey." Chris inched forward and gripped my waist gently to try and hold me up. "Why did you do that, huh? You'll pass out if you're not careful."

I giggled and grabbed his shoulders. "Get me another one." I slurred slightly, tilting my head when I realised his features were no longer as clear as they were a few minutes ago.