25 : A Dismissed Warning

Your POV

I buried my face into a pillow and sighed, trying to process in my mind exactly what had just happened.
I needed to warn Jason, but I didn't want to risk Ellie's life.
I didn't want to be responsible.

If Jason found out that Ben and I had kissed, he would fly right off the handle.
Someone better start organising Ben's funeral, and possibly mine too.

It wasn't my fault.

That's what I kept on telling myself.
The only reason I went into Ben's room was to apologise, and the events that took place were caused purely by him.
Everything he said rang in my head like a school-bell.
He doesn't love you back.
I'll kill Ellie if you tell anyone about this.
Always a member of the damnation.

Jason had been betrayed and I couldn't even talk to him about it without risking the life of my best and oldest friend.

The bedroom door suddenly swung open and I heard someone step inside.
It was probably Jason, but I didn't look up incase it was Ben coming back for more.

"Uh, babe?" The door shut closed again and I felt a hand touch my shoulder gently. "Everything alright?"
I lifted my head from the pillow to see Jason, he stood before me, confusion written all over his face.

"Yeah," I shook my head and forced a laugh, swallowing the unnecessary lump of guilt in my throat. "I was just falling asleep." I lied.

Jason shrugged and flopped down onto the bed beside me, I felt the mattress dip down and I instantly shuffled closer to him, resting my head on his chest. "Did you manage to cancel the mission?" I mumbled, feeling Jason's fingers tangle in my hair.

He sighed. "Not yet, baby." He pressed his lips delicately to the top of my head. "But I'll find a way, eventually."

I hummed in response, drawing lazy circles on Jason's black t-shirt, we laid like that for about a minute in a comfortable silence, but my mind was troubled and I couldn't fight the urge to choke out the question that had been haunting me ever since my incident with Ben.
"Do you love me?" I finally blurted out, my stomach twisted in knots.

Jason pinched my chin and pulled my face up to look at him. He looked offended and slightly hurt.
"What kind of fucking question is that, Y/n?" He grumbled lowly.

I shrugged and avoided eye-contact, I didn't want him to notice the shame. "Don't know, I was just asking." My voice came out quiet and bored.

Jason cupped my face in his hands and searched my eyes. "You know I'm crazy about you," he furrowed his eyebrows. "Why are you even doubting that? What's going on?"

"Nothing." I said, almost too quickly. I gripped his wrists gently, aware of the wounds caused by the rope from the hospital. "And I'm not doubting you at all, I was just making sure." I mumbled, praying to God that Jason wasn't suspecting anything.

Jason's thumb trailed softly along my cheek.
His eyes pooled with torment and confusion.
"Do you love me?" Jason returned my question, studying my face for answers, even though he knew damn well that I was completely head over heels for him.

I nodded, sucking on my lower lip. "Yeah." I squeaked out sincerely.

Jason hesitated. Eyebrows furrowed, eyes squinted. He let go of my face and ran his fingers down my arms.
He knew me too well.
"Tell me what happened right now." He demanded suddenly.