The Grays

Patty

I searched for my keys in my room when Mom opened the door. "Patty, I need you to take something over to Lucille."

I stood up and glanced at her. "Not the romance novels." I groaned

"She wants to read the recent one when I get done."

I knew her tone because she didn't use it for the heck of it. She always has a hidden meaning behind it.

"Mom, I hate when you send me over there."

"Oh, come on. You enjoy seeing Lucille."

"Yeah, Lucille. When I go over there, I have to deal with the boys."

"What's wrong with the boys? They're charming and polite, young men."

If she knew the truth about the Gray boys, she wouldn't view them the same way. My mom was naïve to the Gray boys, and they pulled the wool over her eyes. Hey, Mrs. George, they greeted her. How are you, Mrs. George? You get the point.

It was a unique thing for me. The Gray boys viewed me as a little sister since my older brother was friends with them. Well, that's what they had told me, except they're meaner, but so was my brother. Never mind, I'm getting off track.

Lucille and Grayson lived kitty-corner from us for as long as I can remember. They had three boys—Nathaniel Mark, seven years older than me, and he has a temper. Jonas Allen is two years younger than Nathaniel and kept his head in a book. Cayson David is two years younger than Jonas and the baby and hung out with my brother.

They were hell raisers and loved to give me a tough time. They said it was because they regarded me as the sister they never had. Do brothers blow up your Barbie dolls or chase stray cats with remote-controlled cars? No. Well, at least mine doesn't. Dad would kill him if he did.

I looked at my mom as she grinned. I rolled my eyes, and she laughed while handing me a bag of books. I wasn't getting out of this one. I snatched the bag from her hands and walked out of my room.

There was a conspiracy between her and Lucille. I'll get to that later.

I carried the bag of books across the street and checked for cars since they drive like nuts down this street. I trudge up the driveway to hear someone cursing and throwing stuff. Great. Nate was home.

I made my way to the front door, trying to avoid him. Ever since I broke his model car as a kid, he never let me forget it. It was an accident, and I thought you could play with it. Mom had offered to buy him another one.

Before making it to the front door, someone bellowed, "Hey, it's Peppermint Patty!"

I winced at that nickname and turned to notice Jonas grinning at me. Nate glanced over the car's hood. Ugh, thanks, Mom.

Nate smirked, and I shot him and Jonas a glare.

"Someone's pissed," another voice said. Where the hell did Cayson come from since I didn't see him? He handed Nate a socket wrench.

"What else is new?" Nate asked, working on his car.

I sighed, walked to the door, and knocked.

Lucille answered it. "Patty! What a pleasant surprise? Come in." She waved me inside, and I walked by her.

*****

Lucille

I glanced at the boys. "You boys, be nice."

"We're always nice, Ma," Jonas said.

"Uh, huh? Oh, and Nate?" I asked.

He looked up with irritation. "Yeah?"

"I need your help in the house."

"Have Jonas help you."

"Nathaniel Mark, I asked you to help me." I shot him a glance.

"Whatever." He tossed a wrench to the side and vanished into the garage.

I came back into the house, letting the screen door close behind me.

*****

Patty

I was standing in the kitchen after setting the books on the table. Lucille walked over to a chair, picked it up, and carried it to a light fixture. What is she doing?

"Hit the lights, will you?" She asked me.

I flipped the switch.

Lucille took off the light globe, whacked a wooden spoon against the bulbs, and broke them. Then Lucille replaced the light globe and got down. She returned the chair and cleaned up the glass. "That should do it." She brushed her hands together.

"Did you break those bulbs on purpose?"

"Who? Me? Why would little old me do that? Why nonsense? And you saw nothing." She gave me a glimpse as I raised my brows.

A few minutes later, Nate stomped into the house. "Okay, what do you need?"

"Something's wrong with the kitchen light. I turned it on, and it wasn't turning on," Lucille said.

He grabbed a stepladder, placed it under the light fixture, and removed the globe. Then his expression changed. "How the hell did the bulbs break?"

"Got me. It's such a mystery." Lucille shrugged.

Uh-huh, sure, because your mom broke them, you doof.

"Hang on. I'll get needle-nose pliers," he told her, stepping down.

"Good, Patty will help you." She shoved me at him.

I lost my footing and fell with him catching me. I looked up into his steel-grey eyes as he looked into my ocean blue eyes. He helped me to my feet.

"Sorry," I said.

"No worries. Come on." Nate turned and walked away.

I peered at Lucille, and she waved at me to follow him. I turned and followed him into the basement.

Why was this a setup?