102 | i am most certainly not jealous

Kakashi and I walked the familiar path up to the Hokage's office, though he did hurry me along quite a bit. In the end, it took us about five minutes to get there. However, when we entered the office, Lord Third was looking a little impatient.

"You're late."

"I apologise, sir, it was my fault." Kakashi bowed in apology.

The Hokage sighed. "Very well. I'm afraid I'm going to have to send the two of you on separate missions. Kakashi, you're to be bodyguard to the princess of the Land of Iron while she is staying in the village."

"Yes, sir." Kakashi shot me a sideways glance that suggested he had met the princess before and was not a fan.

"Miyoshi, your mission is of a more urgent nature, and I will have to explain it to you separately." The Hokage glanced up at the clock on the wall.

At that moment, an ANBU I didn't know opened the door slightly. "Lord Hokage, the lady Chinai is here."

"Send her in," Lord Third said.

The door opened fully, and the first thing I thought was, poor Kashi. The princess was... well, extravagant. Flamboyant, perhaps. She had blonde hair that had been curled into perfect ringlets, each one lathered in what was probably gallons of hair product. She was wearing the most ostentatious frilly pink dress I had ever had the horror of laying eyes on. She couldn't have been more than sixteen.

"Which one of you is my bodyguard?" she demanded.

"That would be me, my lady." Kakashi bowed, a little stiffly. "It is a pleasure."

Chinai giggled in a way that made my insides boil. "It certainly is." She stood next to Kakashi, so close that I felt the need to grab his hand and hold it tight. I definitely did not like this princess.

"Miyoshi, I wish for you to accompany me to the hospital so I can brief you on your mission," The Third said.

"As you wish, Lord Hokage." I glared sideways at the princess who was way closer to my Kashi than I was comfortable with. "You'll be careful, won't you Kashi?" I said, adding a warning edge to my tone that I knew he understood.

"I always am." Kakashi squeezed my hand and smiled before letting go so I could follow Lord Third down to the hospital.

I trudged behind him in silence, mentally thinking up ways I could kill the princess while making it look like an accident. I had quite a few options, actually; poisonous berries, rabid animals, falling from a cliff... unfortunately, Kakashi would get in the way of all three and probably would not approve of me killing royalty.

"You're unusually quiet," the Hokage commented. "Being too angry at the princess may hinder your ability to accomplish the mission I have for you, so I advise you let it go before it grows too much."

"How did you know I was angry at her?" I asked, so startled I forgot to scowl at the floor.

"I know jealousy when I see it," the Hokage replied.

"I'm not jealous," I said immediately.

"Are you sure about that?"

"Yes!" I said defensively. "I mean, okay, I don't like how she's getting so close to Kakashi. And yes, I will murder her if she so much as touches him. But that doesn't mean I'm jealous."

"I believe that is the very definition of jealous, my dear," the Hokage said. "We've arrived."

Lord Third led me through the hospital and past reception without even speaking to the receptionist. We walked through most of the hospital before coming to a thick steel door with about a thousand security measures, all of which the Hokage bypassed with a series of fingerprints, eye scans and passcodes. The door opened silently, admitting us to a dark corridor lit by blue lights embedded in the wall.

"Where are we?" I asked wonderingly. I hadn't even known this place existed, let alone been down here.

"This is the quarantine department," the Hokage said in a grim tone. "It's highly classified."

"Why are we down here?" I asked.

"In one of these holding rooms is a client who came to us severely affected with a disease that none of our medics have ever seen before. He told us only how the Land of Iron has been afflicted badly with it as of late, and he seemed particularly concerned for his family."

"That's horrible," I murmured, pressing my hand on the blue-tinted glass. I could just make out a figure laid on a bed with a white sheet draped over him. "Have you managed to work anything out about it?"

"All we can determine is that this affects the chakra and is severely contagious. We haven't had any success in a cure," the Hokage replied.

"So you need me to create one," I guessed.

"Exactly." Lord Third nodded. "I thought you were likely the only one with an immunity to this disease, thanks to your Kekkei Genkai."

"I can probably cure him by extracting his chakra the way I did with Kakashi's," I said.

"Could you cure the whole Land of Iron the same way?" The Third asked.

"No." I frowned. "Normal people can't handle plant chakra, especially civilians, so I'd just be hurting them more than helping them. It would take me at least a day to recover my own chakra, so that's one heal per day."

"In any case, I'm deploying you to the Land of Iron," the Hokage said. "The Five Great Nations are each sending their best medic to try and help, in the understanding that there will be no conflict on neutral territory."

"The Five Great Nations?" I asked. "How come all five ended up with the same mission?"

"It seems that clients appeared in the Hidden Cloud and the Hidden Sand as well as the Leaf, so the Raikage, Kazekage and I decided to collaborate with the Mizukage and the Tsuchikage. You understand, of course, that you are not to engage with the other medics under any circumstances?"

"Yes, sir," I said.

"Thank you. I'd like you to leave immediately, but should you need to come in here to investigate this patient, you'll find that all your details will grant you access," the Hokage said.

"The passcodes?"

"You saw me enter them, didn't you?" the Hokage asked with a twinkle in his eye.

"Well... yes," I confessed. "I memorised them. But what if I'm gone a while and forget?"

"Then I'm sure you can always ask," Lord Third replied. "Now, you're to meet up with the medics from the Mist and the Cloud on neutral territory between the countries, checkpoint four-c. I'm sending you with Itachi as an escort while you're on Land of Fire territory, but once you cross the border, you'll be on your own. The same conditions apply to each of the other nations, so none of you will be accompanied beyond the reaches of your respective Kage's rule."

"I understand."

"Leave now, then. You're to meet with the others in exactly three days' time."

"Yes sir."