21 | i love you, mimi

I had a little trouble with this picture (wattpad hates it) but hey I managed to get it to work. It's Hajimaru :)

The moment was finally here. I had waited to come face to face with my brother for eleven years, and finally we were ready to fight.

I was distantly aware of Kakashi watching in the background. I was slightly wishing that I hadn't let him come, but if I sent him away now he wouldn't go. As a compromise, I used my Kekkei Genkai to trap him against the wall. Held in place by a thick branch of fir, he wouldn't be able to get in my way.

"Hey! Miyoshi, what-"

"I don't want you in the way. And I don't fully trust your word. Sorry." I wasn't sorry at all, and I was sure my tone said it.

A shuriken whistled past me, and if I hadn't turned to the side it would have hit me right in the forehead. So Hajimaru was going to be serious... good. I wanted this fight to be difficult. I had prepared myself to die, after all.

I ran at my brother, swords blazing with chakra. He dodged the first slash with a quick duck, and countered the second with a kick. I gritted my teeth; my blade should have cut right through his leg. Why hadn't it?

I formed the sign of the Dog with my swords in hand, and charged them up with wind style chakra. "Wind Style, Invisible Blade Jutsu!"

My swords flashed so quickly they couldn't be seen. Enhanced with needle sharp wind chakra, Hajimaru would not be able to block this attack. Blood spurted from his shoulder, thick and dark crimson. He grimaced and put one hand over the wound.

"Not bad. You've grown."

"Oh, shut up." I scowled and hit him in the side with a swift roundhouse kick. His eyes flashed.

"As you wish."

A sharp pain jabbed me in the gut, and my air supply cut off suddenly. My knees buckled, and as I fell I saw Hajimaru's fist connected to my stomach. Chakra charged, of course.

I landed painfully on my knees. Winded, I bent over, gasping for breath. I could hear Kakashi shouting in the background, but I couldn't make out what he was saying. Hokori and Yorokobi had slipped from my grip.

I closed my eyes and forced myself to calm down. Going into a panic now would only make things worse. I placed a green-shrouded hand over my stomach and felt my airways clear. It was a sweet relief, but it didn't last long as Hajimaru picked my up by the collar of my shirt.

I struggled against his grip, feeling the fabric dig into my neck. Hajimaru swung me around and flung me into the rocky cave walls. I felt blood well up in my mouth, and spat it out. My head was woozy, and I could see three Hajimaru's walking towards me, black cloaks billowing and overlapping into each other.

I closed my eyes. It may have seemed like a gesture of defeat, but the truth was far from it. I reached out with my chakra, feeling through the earth and the snow. There was so little, but reaching out far enough, I was able to find something. I reached out, and with my chakra, I grabbed it and pulled it up so that it was close to the surface.

When Hajimaru came close, I lashed out. Tall, thick branches of fir with pine needles sharpened to a point exploded from the ground, trapping Hajimaru and shredding the ends of his cape. I made the needle branches whip through the air, but somehow Hajimaru dodged every attack.

"You forget that I have the Kekkei Genkai, too," he whispered hoarsely, and every fir branch turned on me. His power was stronger than mine. I wondered if that came with age, or if he had been training. In fairness, he'd had eleven years all to himself; he had to have been doing something.

We battled for control of the plants. Hajimaru was a lot stronger than me, and it wasn't long before I realised that he was overpowering me. I released my control and rolled to the side as a fir branch jabbed sharply into the rock where I had been just seconds before. I grabbed Yorokobi's hilt and swept it off the ground, slicing one of the needle branches in half.

It felt a little odd fighting with only one sword, having had Hokori and Yorokobi together my whole life. I started to wish I had practiced one-handed, in case of a situation like this. Hajimaru knew that I wasn't as proficient with a single blade, and had a large group of needle branches guarding Hokori.

I made some hand signs slightly awkwardly around Yorokobi, and slammed one hand on the ground. A huge Mud Wall Jutsu exploded from the ground, rippling upwards at a lightning speed towards Hajimaru. A huge rock jutted out from the Mud Wall and hit Hajimaru square in the jaw. The fir branches collapsed, and I used the opening to regain control of them and push Hajimaru into the wall.

My success was short-lived, however; Hajimaru quickly regained control of the plants and launched them back at me. I sliced them into bits with Yorokobi and ran for Hokori, but Hajimaru used an unfamiliar Jutsu that made the very earth reach out and hold me back. The rock squeezed tighter and tighter, as the pressure made my bones scream out in agony. I gritted my teeth, trying to keep from actually screaming and giving my brother that satisfaction.

He released me, and I slumped to the floor. My whole right side felt shattered to pieces; I took Yorokobi in my left so that I would still be able to use it. I glanced around the cave, taking in the state of the rock. I had a sudden idea, and began storing chakra in my left hand.

"Are you done yet?" Hajimaru was panting. I had worn him out, at least a little bit.

"I'm not dead yet, am I?" I had finished building up chakra. I channeled it into Yorokobi's hilt, and slammed it backwards into the rock wall, releasing all the stored up chakra at once.

Cracks travelled up the wall and across the roof, and a large chunk of rock came raining down on Hajimaru, right where I had been aiming. It struck him clear in the head, and I saw him double over in pain.

He lifted his head shakily. There was a smile on his face despite the blood dribbling down his temple, and something in his eyes... pride? Admiration? Both things that a good big brother would feel after watching his little sister succeed in a difficult task.

"I'm done," he whispered. "I've seen enough."

"You're not dead yet." My voice was shaky. It was like, for a moment, I could almost believe my older brother was back.

"I will be." Hajimaru stumbled forwards. "I'm... glad that I'm able to... die by your hand."

I held up Yorokobi shakily, but Hajimaru kept coming. He didn't seem daunted by the blade.

"You've grown up so much..." he whispered. "My baby sister... an ANBU medic now. Mother and Father would be proud."

"Stop," I said sharply. I could see what he was doing now; I lowered Yorokobi hastily. "Hajimaru, stop."

He didn't stop. He reached down and lifted the tip of Yorokobi's blade so that it was level with his heart. The way he smiled at me was with a gentleness that I hadn't seen in eleven years, that I had been craving all that time and now didn't want.

"Stop." My breathing was shaky now. I could feel hot tears pouring down my cheeks, and I began to plead. "Just stop. We can go back to Konoha, both of us. You don't have to... STOP!"

He kept walking.

Straight into the blade.

His eyes were warm, welcoming.

He kissed me lightly on the forehead.

"I love you, Mimi."

The light in his eyes died. He fell as if in slow motion to the ground. I screamed, but the sound was muffled to my ears. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Kakashi running over, clutching Hokori.

I collapsed.