101 | spreading the news

I didn't sleep a wink all night. I was thinking about Kakashi and staring at the ring on my finger and squealing too much to waste time getting a healthy eight hours. At six in the morning, I decided it was late enough to justify going out and seeing if anyone else was awake.

As it turned out, someone was. I found Teren throwing kunai at various concealed targets at one of the training grounds, and decided to stand around and see how long it would take him to notice me. Unfortunately, I didn't account for his sensory skills, and he turned around and waved pretty much as soon as I showed up.

"What woke you up this morning?" Teren teased.

"Well, for one, I always wake up somewhat early, and two, I actually didn't sleep at all last night," I replied.

"Me neither." Teren let out a long sigh and brushed his fringe out of his face. "Damaru was crying all through the night. I don't know how Kanari manages when I'm not around. So what kept you up?"

"Kurenai hasn't told you?" I asked, surprised. I hadn't actually expected her to keep the big news all to herself.

"No. I haven't heard about anything lately," Teren replied, dispatching another three kunai.

"Kakashi proposed to me last night," I said, and couldn't keep a smile off my face at the thought.

"What did you say?" Teren asked, trying and failing not to sound eager.

"Yes, of course." I rolled my eyes. "When the love of your life says 'marry me', you're not about to say no, are you?"

"So you were too excited to sleep?" Teren guessed.

"Yep. Man, I'm so excited I'm not even tired!" I grinned.

Teren shot me a sideways look. "Lucky."

"Hey, you have a kid, it's part of the deal," I pointed out.

"And I wouldn't trade Damaru for the world," Teren said. "I just wouldn't mind if he'd shut up while I'm trying to sleep."

"MY FAMILY!" cried a familiar voice at ten million decibels.

"Hi Garake." I waved at him. Almost immediately, Garake went into 'bull seeing red' mode and charged over to me, grabbing my hand and glaring at it intently.

"Why do you have a ring with the Hatake clan symbol on it?" Garake demanded.

"Kakashi gave it to me," I said. "Though I'm impressed you recognised the clan. And from about three miles away."

"That's besides the point!" Garake declared. "Are you or are you not engaged to him?"

"Yes," I said slowly. "But only since-"

"No!" Garake howled, falling dramatically to his knees. I exchanged a glance with Teren, who simply shrugged.

"Why is that a bad thing?" I asked hesitantly, unsure if I really wanted to hear the answer.

"He had to ask permission first!" Garake whined. "He can't just waltz in and steal my Miyoshi."

"Oh, that's what this is about." I rolled my eyes. "Fact is, Garake, I'm twenty one now and I can marry whoever I want without anyone's permission."

Garake laid down on his back. "But my baby Miyoshi..."

"I'm older than you," I reminded him.

"Yeah, but still... Teren!" Garake looked pleadingly up at his best friend.

Teren just laughed and pulled Garake to his feet. "'Fraid Miyoshi's right."

Garake pouted. "I do get to walk you down the aisle though, right?"

"I'll think about it," I promised.

"Think about it." Garake grumbled childishly. "That's not good enough."

"Aw, grow up!" I ruffled his sandy hair. "Now you're the only single one left."

"Tsumari-sensei's single," Garake said immediately. "I'm not the only one."

"Speaking of Tsumari." I clapped my hands together. "Who wants to come with me to tell her the good news?"

"I'm coming," Garake said quickly.

"Teren?" I glanced at the dark-haired sensor.

"I'd love to, but I should be getting home," Teren said apologetically. "Say hi to her for me, though."

"Yeah, okay," I said. "See you."

Garake made me recount the tale of how Kakashi proposed on the way to Tsumari's, and by the time we got there, he was starting to question if Kakashi had been abducted by aliens and replaced with someone nice. I assured him that Kakashi had always been nice deep down.

"We're here now, anyway," I pointed out.

"Yes!" Garake bounded up to the door and banged on it loudly. "SENSEI! OUR BABY GOT ENGAGED, COME QUICK!"

The door flew open almost immediately to reveal a wide-eyed Tsumari. "What? Who's engaged?"

"Way to break it gently." I rolled my eyes.

"You're engaged?" Tsumari said. "To Kakashi?"

"Well I assume so, he said 'marry me', handed me a ring, and I said yes. I'm not sure how else to interpret that, to be honest."

Tsumari squealed excitedly and flung her arms around me.

"Aaaaand we're hugging. Hello Tsumari-sensei, my day's been great so far, thanks for asking, how about you?" I asked sarcastically.

"I'm so happy for you! Oh, I've been waiting a year for this!" Tsumari crushed me even tighter.

"Can't... breathe..." I gasped, and she finally released me. "What do you mean, you've been waiting a year?"

"Ever since you told me you two were dating I've waited for the wedding invitation," Tsumari said brightly, green eyes gleaming. "I knew it was coming, I knew it! Come in both of you, I'll get hot chocolate."

Garake and I followed our former sensei into her house and sat down in the kitchen when she invited us to. Tsumari begged me to tell the story again, so I recounted the previous night's events while she made hot chocolate.

I was only halfway through my mug when there was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it." Tsumari stood and went to the door. I couldn't see who was there, but I could tell immediately from the sly look Tsumari shot me that it was Kakashi.

"Sorry if I'm interrupting anything, but Miyoshi and I have a mission."

"Really?" I moaned, standing up. "Now? It's like, seven in the morning."

"Yeah, I noticed," Kakashi commented dryly. "Come on, we're late."

"Of course we are." I sighed. "See you guys later, then."

"Good luck." Tsumari winked, and I pulled a face as I walked out the door.

"Mature," Kakashi said. "Very mature."

"Nah, you love me really."