25 | moving around

And now we see Miyoshi in a wheelchair, with Kakashi pushing her around. My new pencils needed breaking in, and I quite like the result! ;)

Teren and Garake sat in complete silence at the foot of my bed as I finished my story. I had given my best effort not to cry, and although I came close on a few occasions, I had managed well enough.

"Wow," Teren murmured after a moment of silence. "No wonder you don't like talking about it."

"And you're sure you're okay?" Garake checked. "Do you need a hug? My hugs are legendary."

"A hug would be great about now," I admitted. Garake didn't hesitate to immediately get up and cross over to the other end of the bed, and pull me into a very warm hug. I noticed that he didn't squeeze too tightly, and he was very careful of my cast. I wrapped my good arm around him, and rested my chin on his shoulder. Garake's hugs really were legendary, as it turned out. I found it a little more difficult to hold myself together while we were so close.

When Garake finally let go, I brushed away a tear and offered a little smile. Almost instantly, Teren was there too, sitting on my pillow and gently stroking my hair. My smile grew. They were such amazing friends, sometimes I wondered what I did to deserve people like Teren and Garake. What I felt for them was so much like what I felt for my brother, it was like I could close my eyes and feel like Hajimaru was there.

To my disappointment, Kaira came in a few minutes later and announced that visiting time was over, and that Teren and Garake had to leave. They said goodbye, and left two more flowers in my little jar; a white rose and a pale pink tulip.

"I have good news," Kaira announced once the door closed behind them. "You're allowed to have a wheelchair now."

"Really?" I perked up.

"You'll have to have someone pushing you around," she warned, "but once your arm heals, we'll put you on crutches and you can probably go home then."

"Yes!" I cheered. "Finally!"

Kaira pushed over a wheelchair. It was very plain, so I guessed that it was a 'generic hospital' type. She helped me get out of bed and sit in the chair. I bounced up and down a little, excited to be able to move around at last.

"Can I go outside?" I asked eagerly. It felt like years since I had walked out by the lake, or laid down in the sunlight under the trees. At this point, I'd be happy just to get some genuine sunlight rather than be stuck inside all day, everyday.

"I don't see why not." Kaira smiled encouragingly, and started pushing the chair to the door.

"Hey, Hatake, you coming?" I called to Kakashi.

He glanced up from his book, eyebrow raised. "What did you call me?"

"Hatake. It's your name, isn't it?"

"It's my last name. Since when do you call me by my last name?"

"Since I'm bored and I'm relying completely on others just to move, so I'm taking out my irritation on you."

"Oh, joy." Kakashi sighed, but stood up and followed us out the door anyway.

It felt like ages since I had seen the outside world. I probably took it a little too far; I kept opening my arms out wide and taking obnoxiously deep breaths to welcome the outside air. I got a lot of weird looks - most of them from Kakashi - but I really didn't care. I was too excited to finally be free of my stuffy hospital room.

Kaira wasn't allowed to take me out of the hospital grounds, but with a few sly words, I managed to convince Kakashi to push me around the village. He didn't do it willingly, and was very lazy about it. He crossed his arms over the handles of the chair, and held Icha Icha open as he walked, which made us irritatingly slow.

"Kakashi, you're going too slow." I whined for what felt like the millionth time.

"I know," Kakashi said calmly. The fact that I couldn't see him was even more infuriating. What I wouldn't give to just reach back and take that book from him... what was even in there that was so interesting?

I huffed in annoyance. "Hurry up. I haven't had a good Ichiraku's in forever!"

"Calm down." Kakashi sighed, but picked up the pace a little as Ichiraku's Ramen Shop came into view.

"Miyoshi!" Teuchi greeted me with a smile. "Long time no see! What have you done this time?"

"Broke my arm and my leg." I grinned back. "Can I get my usual, please?"

"Coming right up! And can I get anything for you, young man?"

"I'll have a Miso soup with eggplant, please," Kakashi replied.

"Eggplant?" I asked, eyebrows raised. It was an odd preference.

"I don't like sweet things."

"Fair enough."

Teuchi placed a bowl of vegetable ramen in front of me with a grin. "Enjoy!"

I snapped my chopsticks and started eating slowly, but after the first mouthful, I realised how amazing Ichiraku's ramen is, and started shovelling it into my mouth.

"Slow down, you'll get sick." Kakashi sighed. Of course, he had already finished his.

"I've just realised how bad hospital food is and I need to make up for it," I replied, and swallowed another huge mouthful. "Plus, I didn't eat anything for, like, three weeks."

"You were on an IV," Kakashi said disdainfully. "You didn't need to."

"Yeah, well." I finished off the last of my ramen. "Ramen. Can I get seconds?"

Just as Teuchi was about to readily agree, Kakashi stood.

"No. It's late, we need to get you back to the hospital."

"What! No we don't!" I protested. "I'm fine! I'll go for another bowl!"

"No, you won't." Kakashi placed a couple of bills on the counter and grabbed the handles of my wheelchair.

"Hey, wait, I didn't pay-"

"I paid for both of us." Kakashi wheeled me away from the store.

I leaned over and waved to Teuchi as we left. "You didn't have to."

"Do you even have any money?" Kakashi asked.

I frowned. "I'm sure I had some in my... oh, wait, my ninja pouch is... I don't even know where."

Kakashi nodded. "It's at your house, with your swords. I took them there."

"Oh. Thanks." I drummed my fingers on the arm of the wheelchair.

"Hey, Kakashi?"

"Hmm?"

"Can I borrow a kunai?"

"Why do you need a kunai?"

"I was going to cut off my casts and see if I can heal my breaks." I tugged on the cast around my right forearm.

I heard Kakashi sigh. "That's not a good idea."

"Why not?" I countered. "It's not going to heal quickly by itself."

"Your chakra hasn't recovered enough to use medical ninjutsu," Kakashi explained.

"Yeah, it has!" I exclaimed indignantly. "I could heal these breaks right now if I wanted to."

Kakashi hummed. "Maybe, but you're not going to. Doctor's orders."

"I am a doctor."

"Technically, you're a medic. There's a difference."

"And you would know all about that." I nodded as if that made perfect sense.

Kakashi scoffed, but it sounded almost like a laugh. "We're here."