98 | telling him

I pushed open the door to Kakashi's room to find that the Hokage was still there, stood by the window. Kakashi was sat up in bed, one arm draped casually over his knee like nothing was wrong. When he heard me come in, Kakashi looked up and a little smile flickered across his uncovered face. The Hokage turned around, too, his face grave.

"You're going to tell me everything now," Kakashi said.

"No I'm not," I responded automatically, but the Hokage was nodding his head.

"I have decided that he needs to know, Miyoshi," the Third said.

I looked at Kakashi, who had just a trace of smugness in his expression. "What did you do?"

"Nothing," Kakashi said innocently. "I'm just really persuasive."

"I'll leave you two alone." The Hokage walked past me and stepped out of the room.

"You're sure you didn't put him under a Genjutsu?" I asked.

"I'm sure," Kakashi replied. "So what's the big deal?"

I sat beside him on the bed. "Don't you wonder why you were totally knocked out for a week with me permanently watching over you?"

"My injuries were pretty bad..." Kakashi began, but trailed off, sounding uncertain.

I shook my head. "Yes, but we had the Lyashinoha. Your injuries were fine within two days."

"So then why...?"

"You were in a coma," I said bluntly. "You've been on life support for the past week. It's a miracle you've woken up at all."

"How did a few injuries put me in a coma?" Kakashi asked.

"That's what we're not sure about," I responded. "All of your tests have been checking out okay since day three. If we weren't so uncertain, we'd have discharged you by now. For all we know, there could be poison running through you right now. We're testing for every poison known to man, but since the Netsu incident..." I shrugged. "It's just too uncertain. Juuki can't tell if anything's wrong, either."

"So I could be dying, and you don't know," Kakashi murmured.

"That pretty much sums it up." I looked down at my hands.

"I'm sorry." Kakashi's voice was racked with pain.

I looked up at him in surprise. "What for?
This isn't your fault."

Kakashi shook his head. "I've caused you too much pain recently. I'm so, so sorry, Miyoshi, I'd understand if you can never forgive me..."

"Don't be stupid," I said, cutting him off. "You know I can't stay mad at you. I don't care what you've done. I still lo-"

It was Kakashi's turn to cut me off, but rather than talking over me, he did it by kissing me quite suddenly on the lips. I was too startled to register it for a moment, then I relaxed against him and kissed back, letting him have me for those few moments that seemed to linger forever.

When he finally pulled away, I could only stutter. "I- Kashi- the stuff you said before - I mean, I-"

"I shouldn't have said that," Kakashi said quietly. "I have no excuse, and I can't even begin to tell you how much I regret that."

"But why-"

"Because I love you," Kakashi said simply, and that answered every question I wanted to ask.

Struck with sudden, unprecedented inspiration, I looked up at him with wide eyes. Before he could ask about it, I said, "Kakashi, use a jutsu."

"A jutsu?" Kakashi frowned.

"Just a small one," I elaborated. "Like a clone jutsu or something."

"Sure." Kakashi made a Ram sign, but instead of a clone appearing, he doubled over with a hacking cough. I hurriedly moulded chakra and started to heal him until the coughing subsided.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

Kakashi nodded, his eyes watering slightly. "I wasn't expecting that."

"I was," I said. "I know exactly what's wrong, which is good news because I also know exactly how to fix it."

"Care to enlighten me?" Kakashi asked as I took his hand in one of mine and placed the other on his forehead.

"It's a chakra problem," I explained as I set to work. "All I have to do is siphon out your chakra and give you mine, and then you'll be fine."

"But then you'll have all my diseased chakra," Kakashi protested.

"It's fine," I said. "One of the benefits of being me is that I can then switch that with plant chakra, then by tomorrow morning we'll both be perfectly healthy."

"Are you sure?" Kakashi asked doubtfully.

"Positive," I replied confidently. "I've done this a million times before." I paused for a moment. "Maybe not quite a million, actually. Probably closer to... like, two..."

Kakashi laughed nervously. "That's not very reassuring. If something happens to you because of me-"

"Then you'll be fine." I didn't let him finish his sentence, knowing what would come next. "I'm serious, Kakashi. And it's not like you can really stop me when you can't use your chakra."

"My Taijutsu isn't terrible," Kakashi argued.

"Nor is mine," I pointed out.

We had a brief stare-off, which ended when I removed my hands from him. "Alright, I'm done anyway so there's nothing you can do now. Try making a clone again."

Kakashi shot me a sideways look before making the sign of the Ram. This time, a perfect clone of himself appeared beside him.

"Everything feel okay?" I checked.

"I feel fine," Kakashi reported.

"Good." I smiled. "I'm just going to take some tests to make sure, but if they all check out, you can probably go home."

"Really?" Kakashi exclaimed in surprise as I started on his blood pressure. "It's that simple?"

"I did tell you." I hummed as the little arm band inflated, and copied the readings onto my clipboard. I then checked his heart rate, breathing and body temperature before declaring that he was perfectly healthy.

"So what now?" Kakashi asked.

I shrugged. "Whatever. We could go see the Hokage, or we could go for dinner. It's getting into the evening. I don't care."

"We should probably go to the Hokage," Kakashi said. "You need to get rid of that chakra. I don't mind going out afterward."