100 | red alert response system failed

I think I actually forgot how to breathe, think, move and speak all at the same time. I probably looked pretty stupid just standing there with my mouth open, blinking unseeingly. I finally remembered how to do all those things when I ran out of air and my brain rebooted in order to force me to take a breath.

"What?"

"I want you to marry me," Kakashi repeated seriously, digging a hand into his pocket. When he pulled it out and opened his fist, there was a ring sat on his palm. It wasn't particularly sparkly or flashy, and it didn't seem as if it were that expensive. It was plain silver with a symbol carved into it, a sort of hatched diamond. After a moment of not comprehending anything at all, I recognised it as the Hatake clan symbol.

"You really want to marry... me?" I checked.

"Yeah, but... if you don't want to..." Kakashi glanced down at the ground.

"No, I do!" I interjected. "That's why I can't quite believe it."

"You do?" Kakashi repeated. "You... you'll actually marry me?"

"Yeah, I... yes."

There was a moment of awkward silence as we both took in what had just happened. It took a lot longer than you'd think for me to actually realise that I'd just got engaged to Kakashi. When that finally dawned on me, I genuinely feared that I might drop dead of happiness.

"Well, uh... this is yours." Kakashi handed me the ring. "It belonged to my mom. My dad gave it to her when they got engaged, and his dad gave it to his mom when they got engaged, and his dad gave it to his mom with they got engaged, and... I think you get the picture." Kakashi rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand.

The ring sat in my palm, and I stared at it as if it were the most precious thing on this planet. It was, really. "And now you're giving it to me," I whispered.

"Yeah." Kakashi's eyes followed my hands as I slipped the ring onto my finger. I glanced up at him.

"I don't really know how this works."

"And you think I do?" Kakashi's eyes softened into a smile.

"No." I smiled too, because Kakashi's smile was contagious. "I'm just warning you that I'm totally winging this."

"So am I," Kakashi assured me.

"Well, what next?" I asked.

"In the books, this is normally the point where I walk you home and kiss you goodnight," Kakashi said, taking my hands in his and pulling me in a little closer to him. "But it's not really that late. We could do something else."

"Really?" I murmured. "What did you have in mind?"

"Well, it's been a while since I beat you," Kakashi suggested.

"Not long enough." I frowned.

Kakashi laughed. "That's fine. I wasn't thinking of that anyway."

"So what were you thinking?"

"Just something here, something there," Kakashi said vaguely, pulling his mask down.

"I feel like I shouldn't be trusting my night to someone who reads Icha Icha," I said.

"That's all a matter of perspective," Kakashi whispered, and then we were kissing, and the whole world disappeared and we were the only people in anywhere, and it was beautiful.

"Kami, I love you," I breathed the moment we pulled away.

"I suppose Kami's cool, but when have you ever been this close to her?" Kakashi raised an eyebrow.