66 | my most kind, loving and wonderful pa

The darkness was back. There was no whiteness to begin with, no anticipation and no burning pain, just black. It was comfortable, almost, and allowed some time to clear my mind and relax.

I couldn't have said how long I was there. It could have been days, or it could have been minutes. However long it was, I was interrupted from my nothingness by the very person I had been longing to see for months.

"I hoped I wouldn't see you here for a long time, Miyoshi," he said softly.

"Pa," I whispered, hardly daring to believe it. I always remembered him as a giant, but looking at him now, he was only a few inches taller than me. His dark hair was as I had always remembered it, short and spiked up with bangs falling down on either side of his face. His eyes were dark blue and warm, sparkling with love. I didn't hesitate to run to him and wrap my arms around him, embracing him so tightly that he couldn't ever leave me again.

"Miyoshi, my baby girl. You're so much like your mother, I almost thought it was her when I saw you." He smiled. "You've grown up so much."

"Pa," I said. I was desperate to tell him everything, but I didn't know how. "I found your journal, in the library."

"Did you?" Pa didn't look angry. In fact, he seemed almost amused. "And what did you think?"

"Well, it's not what I was expecting." I admitted. "And it was scarily similar to my own life."

"That's not a good sign," Pa remarked. "So, fill me in."

"On what?" I asked. "There's so much, I don't know if I can."

"Start from my death," Pa said.

"Okay." I nodded slowly. "Well, I graduated the Academy, got placed in a team with Tsumari-sensei, Teren, and Garake, who are now practically family to me. I trained as a medic. Obito and Rin, two friends of mine who were on Kakashi's squad, were killed in the same year which was pretty traumatising, for Kakashi in particular. Minato-sensei was made Fourth Hokage, and Kakashi retreated to the ANBU to sulk and be antisocial. Minato then went and died, which sucked.

"When I was eighteen, I went in to rescue Kakashi because the lack of social interaction was turning him into a hermit. Now I'm stuck in the ANBU with a fancy title of 'Head Medic to the ANBU', but really it doesn't mean anything because Kakashi still bosses me around and I still have to rescue him from life-threatening chakra drain, since he's really not as smart as people make him out to be.

"I got kidnapped at one point and tortured with a Genjutsu, but Teren, Garake, Tsumari and Kakashi saved me so it's all fine.

"On our first duo mission, the Third thought it would be funny to send me along when Kakashi was supposed to kill Hajimaru, so I took over and did it instead. I'm not too proud of that. But hey, that was my first extensive stay in the hospital.

"After that, I met Naruto, who is the cutest little kid you will ever meet in your life. He's the son of Minato and his wife, Kushina, and seriously I have never met a more adorable kid. The Third actually made me his legal guardian, although he doesn't live with me because I spend most of my time on missions or in hospital.

"There was one point where I got injected with a sickness plant and was in hospital with a fever for a few days, I think. I almost died, and I saw Mama in that time.

"After that, I was ambushed by the guy who injected me with that sickness plant and Kakashi made him disappear with a fancy move and then got even more chakra drain, even worse than normal. The Third thought it would be funny to assign him to stay with me for the duration of his recovery, because we obviously don't spend enough time together." I rolled my eyes.

"Then I found this talking tree called Mr Oak, and he's really cool except he's also trying to force me and Kakashi together. A tree. I found it because Orochimaru decided it would be funny to reanimate Hajimaru and watch me have a panic attack, then when Kakashi was trying to take me home, I felt it's chakra and made him go find it.

"And the latest is that Asuma decided it would be absolutely freaking hilarious to run away from the village to hang with his monk friend so we all went running to find him and ran into Orochimaru and this creepy puppet guy called Sasori. We fought the two of them, and Orochimaru decided to reincarnate Kakashi's father, Sakumo, and watch him retreat back to the emo corner from which he may never return. Then Orochimaru told Sasori to retreat, stabbed me in the stomach, and here I am." I finished.

"That's a pretty impressive story." Pa smiled. "But I get the feeling you left something out."

"Oh yeah, it was a question I wanted to ask you." I took a deep breath. "So, remember the twenty-five rule? Can we reduce that down to twenty? Please?"

"Why?" Pa raised an eyebrow. "I think twenty-five is perfectly reasonable."

"Pa!" I protested. "You were twenty when you married Mama, and she was nineteen! I'm not asking your permission to marry or anything!"

"As good as," Pa said dismissively. "So who's causing you to ask?"

"Take a flying guess." I rolled my eyes.

"I knew it!" Pa declared. "I'm a fortune teller! Can I call you Miyoshi Hatake?"

"No!" I exclaimed, horrified. "Besides, I don't think Kakashi even knows I like him. And whether he likes me is a completely different story."

"So why do you need to be able to date him right now?" Pa challenged.

"Because I'm not going to be able to ask any other time, Pa! I don't know if you noticed, but you're dead and I'm not!"

"Listen, Mimi..." Pa began slowly.

"No, I won't." I crossed my arms defiantly. "There's no way in hell that I'm dying now. I want to at least be killed by someone cool, defending the village like a hero or whatever! Stabbed by Orochimaru? Not good enough. Besides, I've almost died before."

Pa sighed. "Every bit as stubborn as your mother. And if I know her, you won't take no for an answer."

"Exactly." At least Pa was starting to understand.

"Here's a deal. If you can get back to the world of the living, I'll lower the dating age from twenty-five to twenty."

"Deal!" I accepted eagerly. Now for the easy part.

"Where are you going, young lady?" Pa demanded.

"Back to the world of the living, obviously!" I laughed. "I love you, Pa. Bye!"

"Miyoshi, wait! You can't just-!"

"Goodbye!"