8 | let's try this again

Picture is Kakashi

I saw Kakashi stirring out of the corner of my eye, and quickly picked up my clipboard so it would look like I was looking after him, not being forced to wait around in the hospital while I recovered my chakra.

"What happened?" Kakashi croaked.

"A severe wound to the chest, and quite a significant amount more chakra drain than you let on," I informed him. "The mission was a success. Tenzō finished off the last one while you were out, and actually did a really good job taking charge to get you back here."

"How long have I been out?" He put a hand to his head.

"Barely a day," I assured him. "But don't think you're getting out anytime soon; the blade that caused that wound was poisoned, and antidotes are not exactly my forte."

"Miyoshi?" Tenzō stepped into the room. "What are you doing? Sit back down and rest. Good to see you're awake, Captain."

"No, I'm fine!"

"That's what you said before you threw up and collapsed, so forgive me if I can't trust you anymore." Tenzō pushed me down onto one of the beds.

The ANBU hospital was not nearly as luxury as the Konoha general hospital. It was actually just a massive room filled with camp beds where medical ninja with barely any real skill walked around and made sure nobody was dead.

"You haven't actually been looking after me?" Kakashi raised an eyebrow.

"I have," I protested. "I've just been looking after myself at the same time."

"She used up every drop of chakra she had trying to heal you, then decided it was a great idea to use plant chakra. Long story short, it wasn't," Tenzō explained.

"It wasn't that bad." I rolled my eyes.

"I had to carry you here on my back, and you were out cold for most of it. Yes, it was that bad."

"He was out longer than me, though." I pointed at Kakashi.

Tenzō shook his head. "I'm not doing this. Get well soon and all that." He waved without turning around as he walked out.

"He's even sassier than you sometimes," I commented to Kakashi.

"You think I'm sassy?" Kakashi snorted.

"Have you met yourself?" I countered. "There's a reason that your nickname is 'Salty with a chance of attitude'."

"You're the only one who uses that."

"And apparently I'm your only friend, besides Tenzō. And don't do that really mean thing when you say that we're not friends, because even if you don't want to be my friend, I'm your friend."

"I wasn't going to say that."

"Really? Because the impression you give is that you don't want people around."

"That's because I don't."

"You can lose friends, you know," I lectured. "If you don't talk to anyone, they'll grow distanced from you, and it'll be harder to reconnect later."

"You say it like you're sure."

"There are a lot of things I know that you wouldn't think I do," I said quietly.

Most people would have told me I'm not making any sense, but Kakashi didn't. He looked at me sideways, with that look in his eyes that he gets when he's thinking. He didn't press the matter or ask for details, and I was glad, because I wouldn't have told him anything if he had.