74 | advice and intervention

The Uchiha situation was getting worse, as proved by the increase in shifts on the Uchiha Watch and Itachi's visit. February was settling in, and Land of Fire weather was already getting warm. I decided to take the issue somewhere it might be resolved.

Hello, young one. You seem like something's on your mind.

"Something is." I sighed. "The Uchiha Clan... well, there are rumours, and I have a friend who's an Uchiha. Apparently there has been discontent within the Clan about the way things are being run in Konoha. I don't know the extent of it, but judging from Itachi's agitation, it's pretty serious."

The Uchiha... history does seem to have a habit of repeating itself. The wind whistled through the leaves of the oak like a sigh. Hashirama had many of the same problems. I recall him speaking of one Madara Uchiha.

"He's legendary," I said. "He left Konoha after nobody wanted to vote him in as Hokage, I think. Something like that. Hashirama's younger brother became the Second Hokage, and apparently he hated the Uchiha more than anything else."

The Uchiha have high ambitions, and the Leaf Police Force has pushed them aside into a corner. They have essentially been disregarded as shinobi. I can imagine that they feel bitter.

"Itachi's in the ANBU, though. His skills are greater than anyone I've ever seen. I just worry that something will happen, things will go wrong, and we might lose the trust of the Uchiha completely."

I fear that your worries will come true. If the situation is a dire as you believe, the Uchiha need to be persuaded to settle down.

"But who's going to do that?" I wondered aloud. "Who would they listen to?"

All I know is that it certainly should not be you.

"Rude."

All I'm saying is that your personality is quite... intimidating, perhaps? Headstrong, rather forceful... I fear that sitting down and yelling at the Clan head wouldn't particularly help.

"Shoot, that was exactly what I was thinking," I grumbled. "Stupid mind-reading tree."

Mr Oak chuckled, the sound resonating in my head. I don't know if I'm equipped enough to answer this question directly. I imagine that anything I have suggested is already being tried by the current Hokage.

"Oh, there have been loads of council meetings recently." I nodded. "I know because on a few occasions I've had Genma and Raidō stopping me from kicking the door down. They normally would just stay out of the way."

And it's never occurred to you that you have an intimidating personality?

"Actually, it makes sense when you say it like that," I confessed. "But what can I do about the whole Uchiha thing?"

You personally? Not a lot. Being a friend is good enough. It seems that Itachi trusts you at the very least. If you can expand that trust into a friendship, perhaps you may even be able to get close enough to the Clan head to provide a little comfort.

"Comfort?" I echoed.

Your motto is 'people over politics', the tree reminded me. Put that to use and be a human being that they can rely on. Offer to look after the younger brother, perhaps. Like how you do with Naruto.

"I think I see where you're coming from," I said slowly as the plan formed in my mind. There was no need to go behind the Uchihas' backs, or to deceive them in any way. But perhaps if they felt they had friends in the village, their discomfort with the way it was run might be soothed. "Thank you."