82 | the hokage ruins girl time

"This is my favourite place in the whole world!" Kanari exclaimed.

"Seriously? Mine too!" I grinned widely at the little shop, which bore the name Chocolatisserie and smelled deliciously of cocoa and milk. Of course I took her to a chocolate shop. This place was heaven on earth. "Do you have any money on you?" I asked.

Kanari shook her head. "No, sorry."

"That's fine, I don't mind paying," I replied. "I'm not exactly poor, if you know what I mean."

"Exactly how rich are you?" Kanari queried.

"Enough that I could retire now and live comfortably for the rest of my life," I confessed.

"Wow," Kanari said.

"Yeah. But you know, I've got the most exciting job out there, and I wouldn't trade that for anything," I said. "But anyway, let's go buy incomprehensible amounts of chocolate!"

Kanari laughed.

We spent a while in the chocolate shop, mostly trying the samples and discussing favourites.

"My favourite is the salted caramel," Kanari gushed. "Though recently I've been craving chocolate orange."

"That's pregnancy for you," I teased. "My all-time favourite is rocky road. Nothing compares in my eyes."

"Mm, I do like a good rocky road," Kanari agreed. "What I've never understood is the spicy chilli pepper."

"I know! The spiciness ruins the sweetness of the chocolate."

"Exactly!"

I gasped suddenly with an enlightenment. "We should trick Teren into eating some!"

"I can just imagine his face!" Kanari burst into laughter.

"That's it, I'm buying some." I reached up to the top shelf and took two big bars. "And there's nothing wrong with indulging yourself, so why not get some of that chocolate orange you've been craving, hey?"

"Ahh, I could do with some right now." Kanari closed her eyes and smiled. I picked out as many bars of chocolate orange as I could carry, because a pregnant woman can eat like nothing else. Especially when she's craving chocolate. I also was very much wanting rocky road right then, and decided to buy some of the new flapjack as well, since it looked pretty good.

"That's a lot of chocolate." Kanari's eyes widened as I dumped my armful on the counter. "My mom would never let me eat all that."

"When you're pregnant, those rules don't apply." I winked, handing over some money and packing all the chocolate into a bag. "By the way, do your parents even know?"

"We told them yesterday. I think they're still a little in shock, but they'll get over it." Kanari replied.

"All parents are like that," I said. "I think. My parents died when I was a kid."

"That's rough," Kanari murmured sympathetically.

"Well, it was for a bit, and I do miss them, but after a while you kind of get used to it." I replied, stepping out of the store.

"Oh." Kanari seemed a little uncomfortable. "Well... why don't you tell me about your boyfriend?"

I grinned. I could sense that she'd changed the subject on purpose, but I didn't mind. "His name is Kakashi. We were in the same Academy class, though on different Genin teams. I was close with the other two on his team, so we ended up spending a lot of time together. When we were about eleven or twelve, the others were killed on separate missions, a little under a year apart." I purposefully left out the details.