Prologue

Picture is child Miyoshi ('child' meaning about 5 years old, this isn't her genin attire)

"Miyoshi!"

I spun around and was surprised to see Rin running toward me, her face glowing and excited. Her brown eyes were bright, and the purple markings on her cheeks were slightly distorted from her wide grin.

"Hey Rin, what is it?"

"Kakashi's taking the graduation exam!" Rin said breathlessly, her eyes gleaming at the mention of Kakashi's name.

"What?!" I exclaimed. "Now? But we aren't taking it until-"

"Yeah, I know!" Rin was panting, but a huge grin split across her face. "He's taking it early because he's so good!"

I froze for a moment, my mouth slightly open. "He... what?"

"Everyone's waiting outside the academy. Anyway, I've got to go find Obito! See you, Miyoshi!"

I watched Rin run off, then raced to the academy. Kakashi was taking the exam now? He was a prodigy, but he was five, just like the rest of us! Surely they wouldn't let someone so young be a full-fledged ninja, right?

When I arrived at the academy, sure enough there was a huge crowd of our classmates gathered around the doors. I could barely get through for the swarm of heads and bodies pushing through each other. It was a little claustrophobic.

"Has he gone in?" I quietly asked a boy next to me.

"Yeah, he went in just five minutes ago, but nobody knows what's going on in there," he replied.

I craned my neck to try and see the doors that Kakashi was going to come out of. It was eerily quiet inside, and I wondered what could possibly be going on. What would they make him do in order to graduate?

"Hey!" Rin called to me, hurrying over. She pushed through the crowds to stand beside me.

"Is this guy for real?" Obito complained, following with his hands behind his head. "He can't seriously be allowed to-"

He fell silent as the doors opened. Everyone held their breaths, waiting to see if Kakashi had passed or failed. I saw Obito clench his fists and glare at the doors.

Kakashi stepped out of the open doors, walking calmly. Everyone pushed and shoved to get a closer look.

"So?" Rin asked excitedly. "Did you do it?"

"Yep." Kakashi flicked the brand-new headband bearing the leaf crest. It flashed in the sun, and I couldn't help staring at it in awe. I knew right then that I wanted one, too.

"Wow, you're so cool Kakashi!" Rin exclaimed. "Right, Miyoshi?"

I felt heat rise to my cheeks. Kakashi was looking right at me! "Y- yeah! Amazing..."

"You're not so tough!" Obito exploded. "I could take you on, right here and now!"

"Obito, please don't..." Rin begged. Obito didn't listen, and ran straight at Kakashi, ready to punch, but even I could see that he was being way too obvious with his attack. Kakashi stepped nearly to the side and kicked Obito hard in the gut.

"Please be careful!" I squealed. Obito stood up shakily, wiping blood from his mouth. He was bleeding? That was bad!

"You wait, Kakashi! I'll surpass you one day!" he yelled, and ran off without another word.

I watched Obito running off, feeling slightly worried about him. I suspected he might be crying. I felt bad for him, but I wished he didn't try so hard to be noticed. It was wearing him down. Kakashi scoffed and headed away too, kicking the stones on the ground with his toe. Rin sighed and shot an apologetic glance at me, then followed them.