60 | oh there he is nevermind

The next evening, when Tsumari had gone to get takeout, Kakashi decided it was a great idea to come home. I mean, it probably was, people would have worried if he'd stayed out on that mission forever.

He strolled in through the door like he owned the place, and I was annoyed with him before he even said anything.

"Hey."

"Hey," I replied simply. "How'd the mission go?"

Kakashi shrugged. "Like normal."

"So you aced it?" I guessed slyly.

"It went without a hitch, if that's what you mean."

"So you aced it," I confirmed. Kakashi never liked to sound big headed, but I knew that secretly, he was nursing an ego the size of a small house.

"Well... yeah," Kakashi admitted sheepishly. "Although it did take a couple of days to track down the guy I was supposed to kill. And I got a little sidetracked by a couple of guys in the bingo book, I thought I'd take them out just for a little bonus."

"You're not the type to do extra work for extra money." I narrowed my eyes. "What's the occasion?"

"Nothing."

"Have a grudge against one of them?"

"No."

"...liar."

"I'm not lying!" Kakashi insisted. "I just took out some Leaf enemies out of the kindness of my heart."

"Come on, you're almost as bad at lying as I am." I scoffed.

"So I'm better than you?" Kakashi teased.

"Well-" I began huffily, but was cut off by the door opening to admit Tsumari, who was now carrying a plastic bag of takeout.

"Hey, Kakashi," she said, not seeming surprised that he was there. "I heard you came back, so I got food for you."

"Oh! Uh..." Kakashi faltered. "That really... wasn't necessary..."

"Ah, come eat with us!" I encouraged him. Rooting around in the bag, I picked out a miso ramen and tossed it at him. He caught it reflexively and looked at it for a moment before caving.

"Alright then. How much do I owe you?"

"Nothing," Tsumari said firmly. "My treat."

"Thanks," Kakashi muttered, not ungratefully.

"So hey Kashi, you never told me you fought Orochimaru before. I had to hear it from old Snake Man himself."

Kakashi almost choked on his ramen. "You fought Orochimaru?! Are you insane?"

"Hey, I didn't start the fight, it was him! I mean, I did use the first jutsu, and I did kind of provoke him, but it wasn't me!" I whined.

"Wasn't you. Okay, sure, we'll go with that."

"You're mean." I pouted, shovelling a mouthful of my favourite veggie ramen into my mouth.

Kakashi shook his head despairingly. He had already finished his ramen. "So what happened?"

"I was out in the forest-" I shot him a meaningful look "-and then he just randomly came out and started talking to me. He said that it was him who did that weird thing to my brother. Apparently, he wanted me to fight so he could analyse my skills. He reminded me that I'm the last living user of a Kekkei Genkai, which was nice of him. I'd almost forgotten. Then he said I'd be a nice vessel, whatever that means, and invited me to be his disciple and have loads of power. I may have antagonised him at that point, then we fought."