27 | itachi uchiha

Picture is Itachi. I decided that I was bored of pencils, so this was coloured with an assortment of Copics and Promarkers (Copics: 100, E29, C-7, 0; Promarkers: Y129)

Kaira wasn't too happy that I had taken off my cast without permission but she grudgingly admitted that the break had healed perfectly. A couple of days later, she came in with a couple of medics who healed the three different breaks in my leg so that she could take the cast off. The moment it was off, I climbed out of bed and announced that I was going to the Uchiha compound. Kaira wasn't happy, but said that I was discharged now anyway.

Kakashi insisted on coming with me.  I didn't know why he needed to, but I didn't bother telling him not to. In fairness, as the captain of the team, he had every right to visit the new member of the squad.

As we approached the Uchiha compound, Kakashi slowed down and I saw his gaze move to a window in one of the houses. I guessed that it was Obito's old room. I was actually kind of impressed that he had come this far without any kind of reaction.

Kakashi had frozen completely, staring at the window. "You go on ahead, I'll..."

I slipped my hand into his, and led him away. I wasn't usually one for hand-holding, but the contact startled Kakashi into life. He didn't say anything right away, but I felt him squeeze my hand a little.

"Thanks," he said quietly.

"Don't get used to it," I warned.

As we came in view of the Clan Head's house, I dropped Kakashi's hand. When I did, I felt him take a small step closer to me, so that our hands were still touching anyway. I made a mental note of the way he sought an anchor to reality without bringing attention to himself.

I knocked lightly on the front door. A few seconds later, it was opened by a small, dark-haired boy who couldn't have been much older than Naruto.

"Are you here to see my big brother?" he asked.

"Yes. Is he here?" I replied kindly.

"He's just upstairs." The little boy turned and called into the house. "Itachi!"

"One moment, Sasuke!" Another voice called back.

The little boy, Sasuke, scowled. "The people have come to see you, brother."

"Now?"  There was a patter of footsteps, and the older brother appeared in the doorway. He had the same dark hair and onyx eyes as his younger brother, but just by looking at him I could instantly tell that Itachi was wise and powerful beyond his years.

He looked at us with mild curiosity. "I was told that I wouldn't be starting until next week."

"That's right," I agreed. "We just wanted to introduce ourselves before you officially joined us."

"How about we walk and talk?" Itachi suggested.

"But brother, you said you'd practise shuriken with me!" Sasuke complained.

"When I get back, okay, Sasuke?" Itachi smiled at his younger brother. After watching the two of them interact, I resolved to visit Naruto when we left. 

Sasuke pouted and turned back into the house. Itachi stepped out to join Kakashi and I outside, closing the door quietly behind him. "Follow me."