Part 41 ~ Seeing You Again

~ Michael's point of view ~

"Daddy?"

"Yes?"

"I wanna go to the mall and sit on Santa's lap again . . can I?"

"Serena . . we stood in line for 40 minutes this morning, we'll go back there tomorrow, ok? daddy has to go to work now, you'll be spending the day with grandma . . are you excited?"

"YES! . . Uncle Chris helped me write a list for Santa, daddy!"

"Oh, he did? . . what did you write on the list, baby?"

"I can't tell you . . it's a secret . . only Santa knows!" I unbuckle her and take her out of her car seat. She runs up to the door. I open it and walk inside. "Mom? we're here!" Serena runs up to her. "Hi, grandma!"

"Hi, sweetie! . . wow, I love your hair, you look so pretty!"

"Daddy did it . . he did my hair, grandma!"

"Thank you, mom, for taking her this afternoon . . Keisha will come pick her up tonight around six, ok?"

"No, problem, honey! drive safely!"

"I will, don't worry . . . is daddy going to get a kiss goodbye?" Serena runs up to me and wraps her little arms around me. "I love you, daddy"

"I love you, too . . mommy is going to pick you up tonight, ok?"

"Ok"

"Bye, bye!"

"Bye, daddy!"

I get in the car and head to work. I'm so exhausted . . Serena had a hard time falling asleep last night. Keisha has her during the week and I have her Friday, Saturday and Sunday . . sometimes we switch . . it depends on how busy we are at work.

Four years ago I thought my life was going to end.

But having Serena turned out to be a blessing.

God blessed me with such a beautiful, healthy little girl . . if I could turn back time and make it all undone, I wouldn't. I love her so much, she's my pride and joy.

During Keisha's pregnancy, a little over three years ago, we actually tried to get back together and work things out . . for the sake of Serena . . but it just didn't work out . . we really tried, though . . but we failed every time. I really like Keisha and she's a huge part of my life . . how can she not be? . . she's the mother of my child.

I haven't had a serious relationship after Keisha, to be completely honest. Chris and I are an on and off thing . . still in the closet about it, though. Chris has a boyfriend currently, but that never stopped him from doing stuff with me. Mom knows about our little thing . . but that's it. I never told Keisha nor did Chris and I tell any of our friends. 

It's not that we're dating now . . and we never really were in the past . . but we both have a thing for each other and life is short, you know? . . when the time is right we occasionally do stuff but it's nothing compared to how it used to be when we were younger. Back then it was a confusing time . . it's still kinda confusing, but . . it's not as hard to deal with now as it was back then.

I live on my own . . I'm renting an apartment Queens. Keisha lives in New Jersey, close to where we used to live as teenagers. My apartment isn't the best looking one, but I like it. I just cannot afford anything bigger right now. Life's tough at the moment but I do plan on going to college and eventually doing something bigger with my life. 

But this job will have to do for now . . 

I park the car in front of my work place and walk inside. I work at a car shop. I've been working here for two years now. The pay is alright but it could be better.