Part 27 ~ Heartless

~ Jordyn's point of view ~ 

I wake up the next morning realizing that Michael never called me back. I called him very late last night because I didn't feel so good. I was hoping I could have a little chat with him over the phone but that didn't happen. 

I just got ready and I am now on my way to school. I hope today I'll get to at least have lunch with Michael. The very second I arrive at the ping pong table I realize that I forgot my lunch at home. OH dammit. I hate buying food from the school cafeteria. But it looks like I have to now.

The school bell rings and Michael is nowhere to be found. I see Chris, though. He just walked up the stairs to the school entrance. I hope Michael is ok . . I haven't heard from him in quite a while.  I walk inside the classroom and take my seat. 

Mrs.Johnson probably knows why Michael isn't here . . but I don't know if I should ask her. The look on Justin's face tells me that he's ready to crack a joke at any minute. A joke about me of course . . to make everybody in this classroom laugh. I much rather keep my mouth shut. 

"Mrs.Johnson?"

"Yes, Keisha?"

"Where is Michael?

"He had a family emergency, Keisha . . he won't be coming to school today"

I feel my whole body freeze. A family emergency? . . that doesn't sound good. I hope nothing bad happened . . but it must be bad . . he's not coming to school today. The morning hours are going by slower than ever. I can't stop watching the clock and hoping the bell would finally ring and set me free. 

"LUNCH TIME" Mrs.Johnson yells and two seconds later the school bell rings. Thank god. I grab my bag and walk outside. Oh darn it . . I forgot . . again . . I don't have anything to eat with me. I decide to make a stop at Michael's house . . and then grab a bite to eat my house afterwards. 

I'm a little nervous to go to his house but I really wanna know why he didn't come to school today. I walk up the doorstep and knock on his door. A few seconds later the door opens and Michael's mother is standing there, forcing a smile at me.

"Jordyn, what are you doing here? why aren't you at school?"

"I'm . . I'm here to see Michael . . how . . how is he doing?"

"He's not doing so well . . Michael's granddad passed away this morning"

"Oh no . . I'm so sorry to hear that . . can . . can I speak to him?"

"Sure . . please come in!"

I put my bag down in the hallway and walk upstairs to Michael's bedroom. I knock on the door and walk inside. Michael is sitting on his windowsill smoking a cigarette. I didn't know he smoked. 

He quickly throws the cigarette out of the window. "Oh gosh! you scared me! Jordyn, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here to check on you . . . I miss you, Michael"

He puts a mint in his mouth and walks over to me. "You're so sweet for coming over and checking on me like that, but . . I would really like to be alone right now"

"Your mother told me about your granddad . . I'm so sorry, Michael"

"Yea . . . thanks . . ."

I can see tears forming in his eyes. Now I feel awful. I hate seeing him upset. "Michael, if there's anything I can do for you, you name it, ok?"

He wraps his arms around me and kisses me on my cheek. "My mother and I are leaving in a few minutes to visit my grandmother . . I have to get ready now . . thank you for coming over"