CHAPTER 44 | ZANE

Reading each page and absorbing every single thoughts of her was heavy. Who would have known she was that complex when the first thing you notice when seeing her is how sexy she is?

Behind the perfect doll appearance she was displaying as an armor was hidding a fragile woman hurt to the core. She smiled, she laughed, she joked, she faked. 

From her happy and naive childhood, to the pain and abandonment she went through after her parents death, I discovered the twisted but nonetheless brillant mind of Harper.

I carefully read every stories like if the author was a total stranger. Each story was particular. A different theme, a different style, a different feeling. Some felt more like a novel with no factual background. Some others, even if some parts came out from her imagination, I could guess from the very few I knew from her that they carried actual distressing feelings. I laughed, I felt, I thought, I enjoyed. And somehow, I couldn't cope with the fact that the beautiful twisted mind behind all this was that girl that I fucked so many times without knowing anything about her.

Despite the great style, she still needed guidance on the form. If she was to apply to Columbia, she would need to work hard to surpass the competition.

I tried to find a neutral space for us to review her work but none actually worked. The library? It would have seemed suspicious if someone saw us and I knew the faculty tended to go there a lot to look for references. Her house? Forget it! The old man would have noticed how her attitude change when she was around me. School grounds? I was not supposed to keep students that late. So naturally, my place was the easiest and most convenient spot.

But her and I, isolated in a room never did any good. I knew I would have to work hard to keep myself away from her....

I was invited to a seminar about contemporary literature that I decided to attend. I was kind of excited to come back without knowing the reason why. I didn't particularly enjoyed teaching 12th graders but somehow, day after day, I was seeing improvements with my class and it was kind of satisfying in a way.

When I entered the room, Levyn was kneeling beside her, yelling his feelings to her. I must admit it caught me off guard.

I was not surprised by the fact he loved her because I've been knowing that since day one. What surprised me is that the guy was still in the picture when I was so sure he was past gone.

Now why did this scene pissed me off so much? Maybe because they didn't even notice that I was back and didn't care about displaying their stupid quarrel in the middle of class.

But I would lie if I said it was the reason. No... I got mad when she blushed and looked like she cared.

After reading her stories, I kind of understood a little better their relationship. He was just there at the right place and the right moment. It was not because she found anything special. She was pretending.

But if she was pretending, why feeling upset about him? Why letting her approach her still? Why not telling him to go fuck himself once and for all?

And somehow, it ruined my initially good mood for the rest of the hour.

Three knocks on my door and I knew it was her. Right on time when I barely had time to put some black workout shorts and a white shirt before opening the door.

She was standing there, somehow matching me with her white shorts and black t-shirt. Hair left down like I liked it. Same makeup on. Sexy as always. "Am I early?" She asked, waiting for me to invite her in.

    "Nah, right on time" I answered with a smile on, opening the door for her to get in.

She made her way in and dropped her cardigan on the couch.