Breaking News

It's been almost a week since I heard any of those rumors about "Mr. Wonka's mystery girl", which made leaving the factory for a simple walk much easier than it had been before. Every now and then, some people would wave to me and shout, "Congratulations!" for my brother winning the inheritance to the factory.

But still, others pointed fingers and questioned in hushed murmurs if I was really dating Mr. Wonka.

I entered the candy shop I that still worked at, thinking about Willy and I. He wasn't really dating me. He hadn't taken me out on a date, at least...

"Mary, how've you been?"

I turned to see my boss entering the room, and smile. "I've been quite alright. You?"

"Never better. Business has been slowly picking up with the new Wonka treats coming soon. Did you help with that at all?"

I looked up to see my boss give me a wink. I playfully scoffed in shock and shook my head. "No! He's only been inspired I guess. Charlie is the true genius behind his new treats."

"Oh I see. That sounds marvelous," he said, returning to recounting the money in the register.

"It really is," I responded wistfully, my thoughts remaining back at the magnificent factory. My boss grabbed the TV remote and switched it on.

"Breaking News: The guardians of the four Golden Ticket contestants that had left the factory empty-handed are now wanting to sue Mr. Wonka for apparently having intentions to murder their children. Further word on their accusations will come in at noon today."

My jaw had to have hit the floor at this, and my heart sank to my feet. I felt my boss's eyes land on me, and I forced myself to look away from the screen.

This can't be happening. I knew something was going to happen. Especially since the rumor of Mr. Wonka and I being together is still floating around.

"Can I—"

"Go, Mary. I'm giving you a good vacation from this job. I have a feeling that this new rumor will not be good for the either of you," my boss quickly said, ushering me out the backdoor. I slipped my apron off and handed it to him.

"Thank you," I breathed, meeting his eyes. He nodded in response, then glanced around.

"Just... keep your head low and your hair down. Be careful, Mary," he stated before giving me a gentle push out of the candy store and closing the door behind him.

I turned around, a sense of paranoia settling in the pit of my stomach. I looked up at the sky, and saw clouds forming. It might just storm later tonight...

The walk back to the factory was not as relaxed as my walks used to be. I always glanced around corners, and took alleyways instead of sidewalks.

When I returned to the factory gates, I hit the buzzer relentlessly, until they opened. Once inside, I shut the gates behind me and sprinted to the doors like my life depended on it, the paranoia giving me a rush of adrenaline.

Willy opened the door, seeing me rush toward him. Confusion and worry danced across his features. With the speed I raced to him at, I couldn't slow down, running right into my chocolatier. We both stumbled but he held me strongly in his grasp. Still holding me, he shut the door behind him, and pulled me toward a side room.

"Mary, what's wrong?" he asked. I lifted my head from his chest, staring into his lavender eyes. I exhaled and separated from him a couple inches, clutching onto the lower half of his cranberry-red corduroy coat.

"The news. I-I was watching the news in the candy store, and the contestants... They are accusing you of murderous behavior," I said in a rush.

He frowned, looking to the ground in thought. "But that's not true."

"That's what they are claiming is true," I countered, placing a hand against my forehead. "My boss told me to take a vacation until this all blows over for the sake of the store and my own safety."

Willy remained silent, brushing his gloved hands up and down my arms in comforting fashion. "I don't see why they'd target you in all of this. You haven't done anything wrong."

"It's because I am important to you. I'm connected to you and this factory now, and I can be easily used for whatever vengeful actions they wish to commit," I murmured. His frown deepened, and he pulled me close to his chest again.

"I won't let anything happen to you. You and the Buckets mean more to me than you can imagine," he said back to me, his voice a soft hum reverberating through his chest. I leaned back again and studied his expression.

An urge deep within my being seemed to awaken, and I leaned up and softly pressed my lips against his. Immediately, the tension between us eased away, and he kissed me back. His hands traveled from my arms to my back, enveloping me in his warmth.

He smiled against my lips, and I smiled back, giving us a couple inches of space. "You really know how to ease my nerves, Willy."

He chuckled and kissed my cheek. "I try. Say... speaking of easing nerves... How about I take you to another room in the factory of mine that you haven't seen before?"

My smile spread wider, and I nodded my head. "That sounds lovely, actually."

He grinned a bright grin and took my hand in his, walking me down the hall to the glass elevator.

"What room do you have in mind?"

"You'll see," Willy said. "With the oncoming storm, I think this room's atmosphere will be soothing for the both of us."