Mr. Wonka

I took Charlie's hand, feeling nervous as we stood with the other Golden Ticket winners. To our right were the Salts, and to our left stood the Gloops, then the Beauregardes, and lastly, the Teavees.

I looked back at Mr. and Mrs. Bucket, waving slightly. They smiled and waved back. I faced forward, squeezing Charlie's hand. We glanced at each other and grinned excitedly.

Veruca then stated obnoxiously, breaking the silence we all held, "Daddy, I want to go in."

I squinted at her incredulously, baffled by her impatience.

Mr. Salt pointed out to his daughter in a patient tone, "It's nine-fifty-nine, sweetheart."

Veruca demanded her father, "Make time go faster."

I stared at her, repulsed by her words. Charlie tugged my hand a bit, asking, "Do you think Mr. Wonka will remember Grandpa Joe if we told him?"

I half-smiled at him and told him, unsure, "Hard to say. It's been years since Grandpa Joe worked for Mr. Wonka."

"Eyes on the prize, Violet. Eyes on the prize," Mrs. Beauregarde reminded her daughter. I rolled my eyes at that, and she must've seen my reaction, because she glared daggers at me.

Suddenly, the gates opened, and a voice came over a loud speaker from the factory. "Please enter."

We all glanced at each other, then entered in haste, stopping once we were just inside the gate.

"Come forward." We stepped forward cautiously. I squeezed Charlie's hand again, nervous of what is yet to come, yet exhilarated with excitement.

"Close the gates," the voice ordered again. The gates shut closed behind us.

"Dear visitors, it is my great pleasure to welcome you to my humble factory. And who am I?" The voice paused, and then said, "Well..."

And in front of us, the large entrance to the factory opened, revealing a burgundy curtain pulling away. Bright, colorful puppets on candy-swirled pedestals were revealed and began singing a song.

"Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka,
The amazing chocolatier.
Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka,
Everybody give a cheer! Hooray!
He's modest, clever and so smart,
He barely can restrain it.
With so much generosity, there is no way to contain it!
To contain it!
To contain, to contain, to contain!
Hooray!
Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka,
He's the one that you're about to meet.
Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka,
He's the genius who just can't be beat.
The magician and the chocolate whiz.
The best darn guy who ever lived.
Willy Wonka, here he is!"

Fireworks and sparklers whizzed and whirred, and a large throne-like chair appeared from the stage... empty. I furrowed my brow, smiling at the odd-yet-amusing show. The fireworks caught the puppets on fire, igniting the place.

I covered my mouth with my free hand to hide my smile and muffle my laughter. The song's last verse drug out as the puppets shut down.

"The ammaaziinnngg choocccooolat...ierrrrr."

I jumped when I heard overly excited clapping and exuberant laughter come from my right. A strange man with a brunette bob for hair, wearing purple goggles, a top hat, and a black fur coat, stood with a candy-clad cane to the right of Mr. Salt.

Wait a bloody minute, I thought. It's that odd man from the candy store I met not days ago... Isn't it...?

"Wasn't that just magnificent?" he exclaimed, glancing down at us all. "I was worried it was getting a little dodgy in the middle part, but then that finale... Wow!"