Veruca Salt

"Without the boat, we'll have to move double-time just to keep on schedule. There's far too much to see," Willy said as we walked through the factory. We were taking stride down a long white and red hallway that descended.

Charlie came up to Willy, asking, "Mr. Wonka?"

Willy glanced at him and continued onward. "Yeah?"

Charlie inquired of the chocolatier, "Why did you decide to let people in?"

Willy stated as if it was obvious. Or rather like he was avoiding the main answer. "Well, so they could see the factory, of course."

Charlie pressed, "But why now? And why only five?"

Mike pushed greedily, rather bored with the conversation's direction, "What's the special prize, and who gets it?"

Willy shot him an annoyed glance and said sarcastically, not necessarily providing a direct answer, "The best kind of prize is a sur-prize!"

He ended his statement with a fake laugh. I giggled at that, and Willy glanced back at me and threw me a subtle wink.

Veruca wondered rather gleefully, "Will Violet always be a blueberry?"

I bet she was glad to have all of the attention now that Violet is out of the picture. Willy shrugged and said nonchalantly, "No. Maybe. I don't know. But that's what you get from chewing gum all day. It's just disgusting."

"You can say that again," I said in a soft murmur.

He slowed a bit until I caught up with him. He was smiling goofily, oddly giddy for some curious reason. I smiled only a little in response. The joy in his expression faded some, worry flashing in his eyes at my behavior.

Mike beseeched, "If you hate gum so much, why do you make it?"

Willy squinted his eyes and retorted as we walked on, not looking at the brat, "Once again, you really shouldn't mumble. 'Cause it's kinda starting to bum me out."

"Can you remember the first candy you ever ate?" Charlie wondered about him.

Willy made a face, his brow furrowing. He mumbled, "No."

His gaze grew distant, and he slowed to a stop. I studied him for a minute, then took his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. He blinked and smiled sadly at me. He said in a saddened tone, "I'm sorry, I was having a flashback."

Mr. Salt nodded and said, "I see."

Mr. Teavee questioned, "These flashbacks happen often?"

Willy smiled again, seeming a little off. "Increasingly... today."

He glanced at them slowly, then continued onward. We eventually reached a room called the Nut Sorting Room.

Mr. Salt remarked in a professional businessman manner. "Ah, this is a room I know all about. For you see, Mr. Wonka, I, myself, am in the nut business."

Mr. Salt handed Willy a business card for his nut business, whom, without even a slight glance at it, threw it over his shoulder. I giggled and put a hand over my mouth in amusement. Mr. Salt didn't notice us, continuing to ask, "Are you using the Havermax four-thousand to do your sorting?"

Willy, who was staring at me, finally returned Mr. Salt's gaze, and gave him an odd look. He laughed, "No. You're really weird."

Willy then pulled out his loop of many keys and opened the door to the nut room. We all stepped inside, Willy following after I went in. He came up behind me, watching over the room as we took in the scene.