Fresh Start

The next day came, and I woke up with puffy eyes and a major headache. I must've been crying in my sleep.

I sat up, and rested my weight on my elbows, glancing out at the morning sky from my patch in the roof. The sun was out, shining brightly in the soft blue sky.

I looked over to my dear little Charlie, who was sound asleep still. I smiled, and climbed down the steps, being careful not to wake anyone. I was about to grab my coat and head off for work when Grandpa Joe whispered to me, "Pst, Mary."

I glanced at him, and walked over, sitting on the edge of the bed. "Yes, Grandpa Joe?"

"Are you feeling okay?" His kind eyes showed sincerity, and I decided to be honest.

"I honestly don't know how I feel. I'm a bit numb right now. You know, the 'calm after the storm' sort of thing," I told him, sighing.

"I understand," he said, nodding. He paused, then asked just as I stood up to leave, "Mary?"

"Yes, Grandpa?"

"If you don't mind talking about it, can you tell me what Mr. Wonka was like?" he asked me. I studied him, searching his eyes, silent for a moment.

"I don't mind," I finally said. "But I will have to tell you about him when I get home from work. Tonight before we go to bed. Okay?"

He nodded and smiled. "See you soon, my dear."

Grandpa Joe immediately began to snooze off again. I smiled and walked over to the door, opening it slowly and closing it quietly.

I strode down the sidewalk, taking lengthy strides as I hurried down to the candy store.

My boss wasn't there yet, so I managed to get my heart in an emotional cage, composing myself for business. I grabbed a box of Wonka bars and began to fill up the shelves from the mad candy rush just a couple days ago.

I heard the back door open and close, and I looked over to see my boss. "Mary! You are here early! What did Charlie think of the factory?"

I nodded and sighed in response, "Charlie really loved it. The factory was beyond your wildest imagination."

"Did you go with him? As his chaperone?" he asked me. His eyes were ignited with excitement.

I nodded, trying not to dwell on the subject. "I enjoyed it, too."

He didn't push too much on the subject, thank goodness. Perhaps he was getting tired of my short, curt answers, or noticed my depressed mood. And, after all, there was a job that needed to be done.

My shift went by leisurely, the work hours dragging. Barely any customers came by, perhaps not wanting to face the disappointment of not finding another Golden Ticket.

My boss, who was on break, came in with a Wonka bar in his hand, asking me, "These came in today, right?"

I furrowed my brow, and said, "Yes, sir. Why?"

"They taste bloody awful!" He broke off a piece and handed it to me. I wanted to refuse, for fear of crying about... him.

I took the piece, and popped it into my mouth, beginning to chew. Something didn't taste just right in the candy, and I made a face. "That's weird. They were fine just yesterday at the factory."

I spit out the candy, wiping my face with a napkin. I analyzed, "It's gone bitter, and it's not that sweet anymore."

"Wonder what's caused it to taste so terrible," he muttered. I thought to myself, Maybe it's Augustus's human bacteria. I smirked at that thought, amused, and continued to work.