Golden Ticket Winners

Morning came like it always did, but it was a new day, nonetheless.

Tomorrow was Charlie's birthday! This year, I really wanted to get him a Wonka bar, but I didn't have enough earnings to get him one just yet.

When I arrived for work, the store was already filled with customers. My boss noticed me and practically yelled, "Mary! You are late!"

"I'm sorry, sir! It won't happen again!" I called to him and put on my apron, rushing to the counter. I prayed that the Golden Tickets aren't all found today, keeping my hopes up for Charlie's sake.

<><><><><>

Later that day, the next ticket was found. When I got home, I flicked the television on and sat on the edge of the grandparents' bed, my arms crossed as I watched. Charlie sat in the middle of the bed, paying close attention to the news as well.

"...of every shape, size and hue."

The television showed a rather rich family, and an overly proud little girl from Buckinghamshire, England. She was showing her ticket for all the world to see greedily, clearly proud of it.

"Veruca. Can you spell that for us, please?" a reporter asked of her.

"V-E-R-U-C-A. Veruca Salt," Veruca complied.

"Soon as my little Veruca told me she had to have one of these golden tickets, I started buying up all the Wonka bars I could lay my hands on. Thousands of them. Hundreds of thousands. I'm in the nut business, you see. So I say to my workers, 'Morning, ladies. From now on you can stop shelling peanuts and start shelling the wrappers off these chocolate bars instead.' A couple days went by and we had no luck. Oh, it was terrible. My little Veruca got more and more upset each day.

"Well, gentlemen, I just hated to see my little girl feeling unhappy like that. I vowed I would keep up the search until I could give her what she wanted. And finally, I found her a ticket," her father explained, remembering that relieving moment. That same wash of relief came over his face.

Grandpa George practically snapped, "She's even worse than the fat boy."

I nodded in agreement. Charlie said my exact thoughts out loud. "I don't think that was really fair. She didn't find the ticket herself."

He frowned slightly, upset. Grandpa Joe noticed this and reassured him. "Don't worry about it, Charlie. That man spoils his daughter. And no good ever comes from spoiling a child like that."

Just then, Mr. and Mrs. Bucket hurried inside the home, and quickly hid something behind themselves.

"Charlie, your Mum and I thought... maybe you wanna open your birthday present tonight," Mr. Bucket said eagerly.

Mrs. Bucket revealed a delectable Wonka Whipple-Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight bar, saying, "Here you are."

Charlie grinned, taking the chocolate bar. He calmed down for a moment, and said, "Maybe I should wait till morning."

Grandpa George and I scoffed at the same time, "Like hell."

Mr. Bucket flashed us a daring look, correcting us. "Pop. Mary."

I mouthed "sorry" to him.

Grandpa Joe then demanded, "All together, we're three hundred and eighty-one years old. We don't wait."

Charlie smiled and began to open the chocolate bar. Mrs. Bucket rose a finger to warn Charlie.

"Now, Charlie, you mustn't feel too disappointed, you know, if you don't get the..." she trailed off.

Mr. Bucket backed her up and said brightly, "Whatever happens, you'll still have the candy."

As we all sat around Charlie, he began tearing the wrapper off ravenously, eager to see that glimmer of gold we all hoped to see. But sadly, there was no ticket. We all slouched, a little sad.

Grandpa Joe broke our silence. "Ah, well. That's that."

Charlie then looked at us all, and stated, "We'll share it."

"Oh, no, Charlie. Not your birthday present," I said, waving my hands in denial.

Charlie then declared, "It's my candy bar, and I'll do what I want with it."

He broke off a square of the bar, handing a piece to each of us.

Mrs. Bucket whispered, "Thank you, darling."

Mr. Bucket murmured, "Thank you, Charlie."

Grandma Josephine whispered, "Bless you."

When Charlie gave me my piece, I thanked him and gave him a small hug. I let go of him and handled my piece of delicious chocolate like it would disappear from me any second. I sniffed the delicacy, my mind whirring with excitement. The taste far surpassed the scent, leaving me thanking the heavens above for this small treat.

<><><><><>

Morning came around, greeting us with a new day. Today was a special day, though. It was Charlie's birthday!

But, with good news, comes the sad news as well. The depressing news of the new Golden Ticket winners.

Work was the same, and oddly enough, I had kept hoping to see that man again. I wish I knew his name!

Before long, I was freed from the hectic crowds at work, earning myself some more allowance. I grabbed a newspaper, and walk home. When I walked inside, Charlie was already sitting on the grandparents bed, waiting for me to come home. I was glad to come just in time.

Grandpa Joe chided to me, "All right, let's see who found it."

I gave Mr. Bucket the newspaper, who was already home, and he read from the paper, "The third ticket was found by Miss Violet Beauregarde."

Mrs. Bucket flicked on the television, going straight to the news. It showed a girl from Atlanta, Georgia, from America.

"These are just some of the two hundred and sixty-three trophies and medals my Violet has won." Mrs. Beauregarde motioned to some trophies on shelves behind her pridefully.

Violet was smacking on some bubble gum as she is being interviewed, which was absolutely a rude and disgusting thing to do. "I'm a gum chewer, mostly, but when I heard about these ticket things I laid off the gum, switched to candy bars."

Mrs. Beauregarde stated not-so subtly, "She's just a driven young woman. I don't know where she gets it."

"Clearly from you; her ego is through the roof," I mumbled disdainfully to the dreadful woman on the screen.

Violet then announced, "I'm the Junior World Champion Gum Chewer. This piece of gum, I'm chewing right at this moment, I've been working on for three months solid. That's a record."

Mrs. Beauregarde felt compelled to brag about her own successes. "Of course, I did have my share of trophies, mostly baton."

"So it says that one kid's gonna get this special prize, better than all the rest. I don't care who those other four are. That kid, it's gonna be me," Violet claimed rather boldly.

Mrs. Beauregarde ushered to her, "Tell them why, Violet."

"Because I'm a winner."

Grandma Josephine scoffed disgustedly, "What a beastly girl."

"Despicable," Grandma Georgina said, which made me do a double-take.

"You don't know what we're talking about," Grandpa George grunted. He rolled his eyes and watched the television.

Grandma Georgina then furrowed her brow and asked innocently, "Dragonflies?"

Mrs. Bucket and I cracked an amused smile, and continued watching the television.

Suddenly, the newscaster announced, "But wait, this is just in. The fourth golden ticket has been found by a boy called Mike Teavee."