Mike Teavee

Mike had pushed a button labeled Television Room. I gave Willy a look and he returned it, his expression saying, Of course he'd pick that room.

When we reached the room, Willy quickly stepped out of the elevator and grabbed some goggle-like white glasses, and said, "Here. Put these on quick, and don't take them off whatever you do. This light could burn your eyeballs right out of your skulls."

I giggled as he got a pair and placed them on me. He grinned back and his fingers traced my jaw after he set the glasses on me, sincerity shining in his eyes. I grinned softly, and placed my hand atop of his, taking it and intertwining my fingers with his.

Willy asked me softly, "And we certainly don't want that, now, do we?"

He turned around, and let go of my hand, placing his own pair of goggles on. We strode after him, and curiosity swept over Charlie and I.

We followed him up a white walkway. Everything was blindingly white, but thank goodness the goggles helped block out the brightness.

Willy explained to us what this room was for. "This is the testing room for my very latest and greatest invention: Television Chocolate. One day it occurred to me... 'Hey, if television can break up a photograph into millions and millions of tiny little pieces and send it whizzing through the air, then reassemble it on the other end...Why can't I do the same thing with chocolate? Why can't I send a real bar of chocolate through the television, all ready to be eaten?'"

An Oompa-Loompa was sitting in a white chair, switching the channels on a television. Oprah Winfrey was on, and she was exclaiming about something weird. "I'm not gonna touch it. I'm not going in that direction."

Mr. Teavee denied Willy's idea in disbelief, "Sounds impossible."

Willy's inquisitive grin fell, being replaced with annoyance.

With every word, Willy grew more and more irritated, pursing his lips as Mike shouted arrogantly in agreement with his father. "It is impossible. You don't understand anything about science. First off, there's a difference between waves and particles. Duh! Second, the amount of power it would take to convert energy in matter would be like nine atomic bombs."

Willy had enough, turned right on his heel, and yelled in Mike's face, "Mumbler!"

Mike jumped, and I held Charlie to my side, startled. Willy glanced up at me slightly, apologetically. He composed himself and said in an annoyed murmur to Mike, "Seriously, I cannot understand a single word you're saying."

Willy straightened his posture and continued explaining the experiment. "Okie dokie. I shall now send a bar of chocolate from one end of the room... to the other, by television."

He put a hand to his mouth and called, "Bring in the chocolate!"

Several Oompa-Loompas walked in carrying a humongous Wonka Nutty Crunch Surprise Bar. It must've been over ten feet long!

I asked Willy, "Why is it so huge?"

He glanced back at me and smiled, facing the bar and explaining. "It's gotta be real big, 'cause you know how on TV you can film a regular-size man, and he comes out looking this tall?"

He used his index finger and thumb, measuring about three inches. He shrugged, placing his hands back onto his cane. "Same basic principle."

Willy waited for the bar to get onto a platform, and then pressed a big red button. The bar lifted up into the air, being encased in a glass tube. Then, suddenly, there was a blinding white flash. Charlie exclaimed, shocked, "It's gone!"