The One & Only Willy Wonka

I glanced at Grandpa Joe and Charlie, debating where I should begin. Perhaps that day in the shop, where I met him, assuming he was just a strange man.

"Let's see... I guess I should begin on the first day I met him," I said.

Charlie asked, "Wait. You met home before the tour?"

I grinned at him and said, "That very morning when the release of the Golden Tickets was announced on the news. I had no idea it was him at the time.

"The shop hadn't even opened yet, and the door's bell rang, signaling a customer's entrance. I saw this oddly-dressed man, wearing a burgundy coat and goggle-like glasses, and a top hat. He talked to me a little bit, asking my thoughts on the release of the Golden Tickets. I told him that it was a shock, and he asked if I was going to search for them. I told him that we can barely afford a candy bar for your birthday every year, so most likely no. He seemed a bit downed by that notion.

"I asked him for his name, and he told me the most peculiar thing. He said that it wasn't important, and that I may find out very soon. I never saw him again after that day. The days progressed, until you found the last Golden Ticket, and finally we met... him. Turned out that the odd man from the shop was, in fact, him."

Grandpa Joe intrigued, "I wonder if he sent a specific package of Wonka bars for the shop, which had that lucky bar of chocolate in your shop, Mary."

"Doubt it. That'd be unfair to the rest of the world!" I scoffed. I shook my head and leaned forward on the table. They fell silent, and I glanced at them both.

They were staring at me, both clearly expecting more. I smiled nervously, asking, "What?"

"Did you like him?" Charlie asked me suddenly. I opened my mouth to answer, then looked away, staring at the ground.

"Thought I did. Once." I rubbed my hands together, fidgeting. I sighed, and gave Charlie and Grandpa Joe a soft look. "When I figured out who he was, I couldn't believe it. All these days, and I never knew whom I had met.

"The tour itself was a charm, though, with an entire candy-filled room," I said in a hushed voice, remembering that we had to keep what was inside the factory a secret. But I trusted Grandpa Joe, since he worked for him back in the day.

"This room had a chocolate river, with a waterfall churning the chocolate, making it light and frothy, as he had said. The grass was edible, and it dissolves in your mouth, leaving a minty flavor in its traces. There were candy-apple trees and candy-cane stalks, and blooming lollipops. It was so beautiful, like a paradise at it's finest," I sighed. The room was still vivid in my mind. "I felt like I was in a dream..."

Grandpa Joe smiled in awe, and I could tell that he wanted to see it for his own eyes. I smiled sadly, knowing he may very well never see it.

"There were these workers called Oompa-Loompas," I continued. "They were little natives from a land called 'Loompaland'. They sang and danced when they had the opportunity and the incentive. They sang about Augustus's chocolate mistake, which was, in fact, super catchy to dance to." I laughed lightly, remembering the workers' charms and talents.

"After we went through the Chocolate Room, we took a large, pink, seahorse-shaped boat down the chocolate river, and had a wild tunnel ride, passing all sorts of creamery rooms.

"We stopped by a very secret room called the Inventing Room," I said just above a whisper, leaning forward more. "It had all sorts of crazy ideas happening right before our eyes! There were new inventions of Hair Toffee and Everlasting Gobstoppers, three-course-meal chewing gum and more than you can possibly think of! And you remember that beastly girl, Violet, yeah? Well, her ego got the best of her and she chewed on that three-course gum, turning into a blueberry when the dessert began kicking in!" I grinned at the odd memory.

"She didn't?!" Grandpa Joe exclaimed in a whisper.

"She did. Probably over thirty feet in diameter! That's why she was extremely blue and flexible when she exited the factory." I sighed, remembering the Gobstopper I have in my pocket. I hold it tightly, rubbing my thumb against it. "But it was a very inquisitive room to see.

"After that, we made our way down to a room called the Nut Sorting Room. You would think he would have his workers sort them, right?"

Grandpa George nodded and Charlie and I shook our heads. Charlie said, "No. He had specially trained squirrels, since almost every-single time, they can get the whole nut out of its shell!"

Charlie and I both grinned, giggling at Grandpa Joe's shock. "It was brilliant. Remember Veruca, the spoiled one?"

Grandpa Joe nodded, grinning with amusement. I explained, "Well, she wanted one of those squirrels, and of course, the answer was no.

"Veruca refused to take that as an answer, and made her way down to the squirrels to pick one out herself. Those squirrels had none of her, attacking her. They checked to see if she was a bad nut, and of course, she was. They then pushed her down the garbage chute," I laughed. Grandpa Joe chuckled with me, and Charlie smiled brightly.

I sighed again, and got lost in thought, Charlie told him about the elevator tour and the Television Room, describing Mike Teavee's demise. I nodded along, only half-paying attention.

"Mary? Mary?" Grandpa Joe called.

I jumped in my seat and looked at him. "Hm?"

"You loved the factory, didn't you?" he gave me a knowing look, and I nodded.

"Thought so. What about Mr. Wonka?" Grandpa Joe questioned.

I looked down and fumbled with the Gobstopper. I muttered, "What about him?"

"You more than liked him, didn't you?" he whispered. I bit my lip, and nodded once, just slightly. I felt Charlie's eyes watch me carefully.

"He was the most phenomenal, whimsical, intriguing man I have ever met. He was wonderful and childishly innocent, and he seemed to enjoy making me laugh, which not many are able to do..." I whispered. "I'm not sure what it is about him, but I liked it."

Grandpa Joe nodded, smiling softly. I continued, letting my thoughts, which I had kept inside throughout the whole tour, come out into the light of day. "He was so mysterious to me. I wanted to know more about him.

"He was generous, and gentle. And I was delighted seeing his face light up at recognition or a compliment on his candy. It was like seeing Charlie's face light up when he found the Golden  Ticket," I chuckled, grinning at Charlie.

Charlie beamed at me, and said, "Mr. Wonka always took her hand when she was uneasy on the boat and the elevator. And Mary took his hand when he had a flashback or seemed to be hurt by one of the other kids' comments and complaints."

I blushed a little and shrugged. "I only did that for comfort, not wanting our tour guide to be bummed out. And I'm sure he held my hand for the same reason, too."

I gave Charlie a discreet look, begging him to stop before I began to cry again. I sighed and looked up at the sky, noticing the gentle snowfall.

"Well, Mary. I think we should head on back to the house," Grandpa Joe said, standing up. I nodded and took his arm, walking back with him.

"Mary?" Charlie asked me. I looked at him, smiling.

"What is it Charlie?"

"Would you want to see him again?" I glanced at him, and smiled sadly.

"I don't know. Right now, I'm just... it's complicated," I said softly. I look around the park as we leave, and I saw a shadowy figure walk away. I could've sworn I saw that oh-so-familiar top hat.